Grace For Drowning review by Steven Wilson

• Released: Sep 26, 2011
Steven Wilson: Grace For Drowning

"Grace For Drowning" is an outstanding record. This isn't an album for everyone, although there are songs which I'm convinced everyone can like if they would just give it a try. But these are not catchy three minute pop songs, although there are some songs which are relatively short. The overall thought of this album was to make a record that needs some sittings like the track "Raider II" (23 minutes long) needs soms sittings before you can criticize it.

That's why there are two CD's in "Grace For Drowning" that are separate but at the same time depend on each other, therefore this is not an album that's about the lyrics, it's all about the music. You can hear a little bit of everything like jazz, rock and electronic tunes with much texture and layers in it.

Keeping that in mind, lets not forget about the astounding artwork the CD, Blu-Ray and especially the deluxe book gives you! Steven did an amazing job putting this together with Lasse Hoile, artist of mix media, photographer, graphic artist, film-maker/director, and cinematographer. As a graphic designer myself, it's rewarding to buy something which I can hold and look at. "Grace For Drowning" is an inspiring album - both the art and music it contains, and it is unique in it's own way. The album of 2011!

Redon13
    It's a kind of copy of what King Crimson did 40 years ago. Listen to the first 4 Kc albums and especially "Lizard". Can't agree with you.
    Loss10101
    The influences are clear, but at the end of the day; they sound nothing alike. Get your hearing checked and stop looking for things that aren't there.
    Redon13
    Thanks for the advice for my hearing. Well, i suppose i need your help : please listen to "Cirkus" (from Kc's "Lizard"), then listen to "Raider II", and tell me what's your feeling about these songs.
    smoledman
    Yes there is a melodic similarity in the initial part of the verse. But Steven Wilson's are rhyming couplets while Cirkus is not.
    smoledman
    Also Raider II builds in intensity in a way that Cirkus does not. In fact I'd compare Raider II more closely to "Starless" from Crimson's 1974 album "Red".
    FVD
    Such a breathtaking record! Hope SW gets a Grammy this time being nominated a third time for Best Surround Sound Album. This played on Bluray with the 5.1 setup is simply sublime!!!