Insurgentes review by Steven Wilson

• Released: Nov 26, 2008
Steven Wilson: Insurgentes

The long awaited album has come. Steven Wilson's first solo album "Insurgentes" has arrived. Well at least the special deluxe edition, but the retail album will be released in Feb. But getting to the point, this is an amazing album. It has all the professional work you would expect from Steven Wilson, with some of the most experimental work he has done. Fans of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield will look at the Steven Wilson completely differently after looking at the album. The most standard rock song on the album is "Harmony Korine" which gloriously opens the album. After that each song shows off Wilson's many sounds. Backing him the entire album is the amazing drummer Gavin Harrison. The sound of the album would be best described as a mixture of standard rock with drone, ambient and even shoe-gaze. All this brings a totally unique sound to the album which has never been heard by the likes of Porcupine Tree, Blackfield or any other SW project.

Steven Wilson is my favorite vocalist ever. Hands down. His relaxed vocal style fits perfectly within his music. Moving from incredibly warm to oddly creepy and brutal. One odd innovation you'll notice in the music is that sometimes the vocal line will play backup to another idea coming from guitars or other instruments. The lyrics... are sometimes endlessly confusing, but always work well with the music. "Get All You Deserve" shows this perfectly.

Good God this is an awesome album. It shows a truly unique sound and leaves you begging for more. My personal favorites from the album are "Harmony Korine" "Significant Other" and "Insurgentes". The only thing I don't like about this album is how "Venamo Para Los Hadas" sounds very similiar to "We Lost the Skyline" from the Porcupine Tree album "Sky Moves Sideways". Still a good song, but it annoyed me a little bit. Otherwise, absolutely awesome album.

tommyg_99
    By the way, a little error in the review. 'We lost the skyline' is actually just the song 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. It's the first line. It's also featured as an acoustic song on the EP called We Lost The Skyline. Trivial matter though, but just thought I'd clear it up in case anyone else missed it.
    OnThePage
    I am so glad at least someone thinks its crap, even though I don't anymore after a LOT more listens, but I definitely felt that way at first. I still think the album is 'missing something' and i wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but you really have to get into the mood of it to appreciate it. I just really, really hope that Wilson doesn't adopt the same minimalistic, semi-bullsh*t lyrical style that he does on Insurgentes. Sure, it has *some* meaning, to Steven, but not to me. Thats partly why I don't connect with the album very well either.
    Dmmrng
    OnThePage wrote: I'm surprised so many people love the album so much...is there something I'm just not getting? I love old and new PT, theyre easily my favourite band, and while Insurgentes is filled with some great soundscapes, a consistent mood and the production quality that SW is known for now, i just dont see where the decent songwriting is...theres harmony korine and the title track, and everything else sorta just shifts into the distance. not because its bad music, in fact there are great moments but theres just not enough decent structure and songwriting to actually carry it through. anyone else feel the same?
    I actually agree with you. I think Harmony, Salvaging, No Twilight, Only Child, Get All You Deserve, and Insurgentes are good songs, but there does seem to be something missing from the record. First of all, it has songs on it that i think are mediocre, and that rarely ever happens for me with Wilson related things. Also, the record lacks consistency. I know he wanted to make something that didn't sound like any of his other projects, but it comes off to me as a little slapdash. The songs sound too individual and not part of some whole, a problem i also have with deadwing. Oh, and your name is a reference to one of my favorite albums ever made: dead air for radios. Kudos
    tommyg_99
    I finally got my copy today. It's perfect. I'm yet fully look at all the extras and stuff, but what I've heard of the cd is brilliance, in my opinion. Once again, Steven Wilson blows us away.
    Quicksand15
    thenewblack745 wrote: HEY EVERYONE! THIS REVIEW (or at least the first line of it) IS CURRENTLY ON THE "ALBUM REVIEWS" PAGE OF INSURGENTES.ORG!!! Just thought I'd say that, it's kinda exciting.
    you should feel honored yeah, its a great record, can't wait for my copy to arrive finally! then i'll really fall in love with it!
    thenewblack745
    kenshin4227
    I agree with the review, this album is incredible. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the song "Only Child". I think that song is awesome, I love the bass.
    Crimsoid
    i disagree, wilson had better projects with experimental and drone music such as Incredible Expanding Mind**** and Bass Communion. I think that this longplay is one of his worst achievements
    thenewblack745
    The album is a little frighteningly ambitious. At first listen on a couple tracks I felt a little distant. But after hearing some of the undertones and other musical effects most of the songs grew on me. And I think there is a major difference between No-man's ambient and experiments than Insurgentes. I'm not exactly sure what it is, perhaps it is darker overall...still not sure.
    OnThePage
    Harmony.Korine wrote: I'm guessing you haven't listened to many other SW projects? Listen to those (particularly BC) and you will hear where he's coming from.
    You're right I haven't heard any BC, but I really like the three albums of No-Man that I have (Returning Jesus, Together We're Stranger, and Schoolyard Ghosts) I've been disciplining myself to listen to nothing but Insurgentes these past few days, 'cause I really want the album to grow on me. And I think it is, slowly but surely
    Harmony.Korine
    jester ed
    I would go as far as saying this album gives me more pleasure than anything from Porcupine Tree.
    IamBeast
    salvaging and no twighlight within the court of the sun are amazing tracks
    PurpleDinosaur
    Just pre-ordered the retail version, with which SW generously gives you an mp3 copy of the album until your hard copy arrives (release date is Feb 09 I believe). This album is a masterpiece. 'Nuff said.