Insurgentes review by Steven Wilson

• Released: Nov 26, 2008
Steven Wilson: Insurgentes

The album is very hypnotic and fascinating on an intimate level. At first I thought album was a bit boring, it took a few listens for me to start feelings its effects. I find it to be very complex and with many moments of subtle and vibrant beauty. I listen to it often and find its grows on me more with each listen. Each time I listen to the album start to finish I hear something new that I had not noticed ever before. The sound quality is of the up most finest.

Vocals sound great. Wilson is a very good lyricist. Though the lyrics are not included in the booklet, they are very clear and easy to understand. I find the lyrics relate very personally in a strange twisted way. They are very well sung and quite beautiful, awesome and expressive.

Its a very mysterious and unique album. The subtle brilliance of each instrument (especially the percussion) brings about a very think and rich atmospheric quality from start to finish that I often find myself lost in. With a very reserved dramatic expression, its pretty easy to for some amazing moments within the songs to fly right over your head at the end of "no twilight within the courts of the sun" there is a hauntingly strange piano and hypnotic piano part then silence. Then the drums start to really rip out a double bass blast beat type pattern and things get pretty heavy for a moment then the songs over. I love it, it sounds so cool and yet its so subtle and easy to miss. The photography in the book is pretty cool as well.

sgwizard92
    I found this, but, surprisingly, no Grace For Drowning review yet. This angers me. It needs a great review. And God knows I'm too damn lazy to write it. C'mon, UG community.