In Step Review

Stevie Ray Vaughan: In Step
Release Date: Jun 1989
Label: Epic/Legacy
Genres:Electric Blues, Album Rock, Blues-Rock
The magnificent thing about In Step is how it's fully realized, presenting every facet of Vaughan's musical personality, yet it still soars with a sense of discovery.
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
In Step Reviewed by: mattfm, on september 07, 2006

Sound: This is Stevie Ray Vaughan's comeback album after his brush with death due to drug and alcohol problems. He sounds a lot more confident. His blues style is really fun to listen to. it's the best 12 bar blues. The intruments are played really well. I thought SRV did a great job on guitars. It's an overdriven blues guitar. This is a unique album, since there was no other like it at the time. The blues were virtually extinct. The keyboards are good, add almost a second lead instrument. Bass is really complicated, very well thought out. Drums is just basic blues beat. The guitar solos were excellent. SRV isn't the fastest, but he definetly is one of the best. All of the songs are fairly short, with the exception of Riviera Paradise. Pretty much all the songs are 12 bar blues, with the same tune and chord progression, but very unique anyway. // 10

Lyrics: Hey it's the blues, what's there to say. It's bluesy music, bluesy theme. Pretty much about love. They will have slower tempos for sadder lyrics. But when the song is more cheery, e.g. The House is Rockin' yeah the tempo is faster, way faster. Stevie Ray Vaughan is a great vocalist, he has a raspy voice that is candy to the ears. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album. It's SRV's best musically, and my favorite from him. The best songs are The House is Rockin', Tightrope, Crossfire, Tightrope, Riviera Paradise, the whole album. It's blues, everything to love, nothing to hate. it's music for everyone to enjoy. I'd be upset if I lost this, and I'd buy it again. // 10

Comments