Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD] review by Stevie Ray Vaughan

• Released: Sep 14, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD]

This is one the best DVDs I've bought. It has 2 discs, with 2 different shows. The first show is one shot in 1982, before the band released their first album "Texas Flood", and was at Switzerland for a "Blues Night" festival. The band played great, Stevie is just a genius, he's incredibly versatile with his guitar, and his vocals are great also. Unfortunately for the band, the crowd wasn't into it, there were even a few boos, which was really suprising to me. It was probably because the rest of the bands at the festival played quiet, acoustic shows compared to Stevie and Double Trouble's big, loud, bluesy sound. It was a great performance, and after it was done you could see the dissapointment on Stevie's face, because he had just played his heart out but the crowd didn't feel it. Stevie and the band returns to the Blues Festival three years later, after three albums under their belt, this time accompanied with an organ player, a special guest, and a wah wah pedal. The second show, in my opinion, is much better than the first. Not only is the crowd reaction much more spectacular, but it was a much longer set, and a more varied one also. The whole band shows their amazing skills once again, this time accompanied by an organ player which really adds to the already great songs. Stevie's playing is tight, soulful, emotional and energetic all at the same time, not many players can match him on this area. Another addition to this show was the appearance of Johnny Copeland on three songs, he played guitar and sang with Stevie. He had a much different style than Stevie which gave the songs a new fresh breath of air. The Hendrix cover of "Voodoo Child" was excellent also.

Content — 10
82 show: 01. Hide Away 02. Rude Mood 03. Pride And Joy 04. Texas Flood 05. Love Struck Baby 06. Dirty Pool 07. Give Me Back My Wig 08. Collins Shuffle. 85 show: 01. Scuttle Buttin 02. Say What! 03. Ain't Gone 'N' Give Up On Love 04. Pride And Joy 05. Mary Had A Little Lamb 06. Cold Shot (feat. Johnny Copeland) 07. Tin Pan Alley (a.k.a. Roughest Place In Town) (feat. Johnny Copeland) 08. Look At Little Sister (feat. Johnny Copeland) 09. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) 10. Texas Flood 11. Life Without You 12. Gone Home 13. Couldn't Stand The Weather The only bonus features are a short documentary "Success In Disguise" (featuring Chris Layton (drums), Tommy Shannon (bass), John Mayer, and Jackson Browne) and a discography. The documentary is interesting, the band members tell about how Stevie felt about life, playing, and the shows on the discs. John Mayer is a huge fan of Stevie, and shares his views on his genuis playing, while Jackson Browne inserts some additional comments in the same nature. Audio options inlcude stereo and 5.1 mixes and work really nicley. The booklet inside of the DVD is also very informative. The shows themselves are the best part of the DVD though.

Production Quality — 10
The picture is nearly crystal clear at most times, but the audio stands out more. The menus are simple, but still not lame and have some footage of the band playing in the background. That's about all I can say about that.

This is an amazing set with two awesome shows that show how much of a legend Stevie really was (RIP, man). My only gripe is that the song "Lenny" wasn't played on either of the discs, because it's one of my favorites. Some shining moments are: The crowd's reaction of the band on the 85 show, Stevie's tribute to Hendrix with "Voodoo Child", collaboration with Johnny Copeland, the raw emotion of "Life Without You." These are just a few examples from the top of my head. The whole thing is worth checking out. So what are you waiting for, it's at Wal-Mart for $15!

bluesblaster
    i personally thought that voodoo child was a bit loose, bordering on sloppy, a surprise considering double trouble's tight dynamics, but it was still so real it was scary cheers, my man!