Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD] Review

artist: Stevie Ray Vaughan date: 04/22/2011 category: compact discs
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD]
Released: September 14, 2004
If you have even a passing interest in Stevie Ray Vaughan's peerless mastery of urban blues guitar, you must own Live At Montreux 1982 & 1985.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 10
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD] Reviewed by: guitarjared, on december 06, 2004

Sound: This is one the best DVDs I've bought. It has 2 discs, with 2 different shows. The first show is one shot in 1982, before the band released their first album "Texas Flood", and was at Switzerland for a "Blues Night" festival. The band played great, Stevie is just a genius, he's incredibly versatile with his guitar, and his vocals are great also. Unfortunately for the band, the crowd wasn't into it, there were even a few boos, which was really suprising to me. It was probably because the rest of the bands at the festival played quiet, acoustic shows compared to Stevie and Double Trouble's big, loud, bluesy sound. It was a great performance, and after it was done you could see the dissapointment on Stevie's face, because he had just played his heart out but the crowd didn't feel it. Stevie and the band returns to the Blues Festival three years later, after three albums under their belt, this time accompanied with an organ player, a special guest, and a wah wah pedal. The second show, in my opinion, is much better than the first. Not only is the crowd reaction much more spectacular, but it was a much longer set, and a more varied one also. The whole band shows their amazing skills once again, this time accompanied by an organ player which really adds to the already great songs. Stevie's playing is tight, soulful, emotional and energetic all at the same time, not many players can match him on this area. Another addition to this show was the appearance of Johnny Copeland on three songs, he played guitar and sang with Stevie. He had a much different style than Stevie which gave the songs a new fresh breath of air. The Hendrix cover of "Voodoo Child" was excellent also. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing set with two awesome shows that show how much of a legend Stevie really was (RIP, man). My only gripe is that the song "Lenny" wasn't played on either of the discs, because it's one of my favorites. Some shining moments are: The crowd's reaction of the band on the 85 show, Stevie's tribute to Hendrix with "Voodoo Child", collaboration with Johnny Copeland, the raw emotion of "Life Without You." These are just a few examples from the top of my head. The whole thing is worth checking out. So what are you waiting for, it's at Wal-Mart for $15! // 10

Live At Montreux 1982 And 1985 [DVD] Reviewed by: Reaper/chaos, on april 22, 2011

Sound: Ok this is deffeinetly somthing any guitarist needs to own, it stunned me within the first 5 minuts of watching it. The band sounded great! Its actually a two disc set of nothing but onstage woopass! Stevie still didnt disapoint anyone at that crowd! There were several parts during this dvd that had me gritting my teeth in astonishment at just how amazing the guitar was. // 9

Overall Impression: Nothing compares to this, this is the perfect present to ANY guitarist. Its a 2 disc set that comes packed with hours of pure Stevie. The only thing i didnt like about it was on the second disc, during "Pride And Joy" the guitar solo is turned into an Organ Solo! But other than that it was a great DVD and if someone were to steal it i would deffinetly go and buy it! Altogether it was deffeinetly woth the money and all performers did a mindblowing job! // 10

Comments