Live At The El Mocambo [DVD] review by Stevie Ray Vaughan

• Released: Oct 29, 2002
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live At The El Mocambo [DVD]

This is only my second time seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan live, the first time I saw him along with Double Trouble was on the Austin Texas DVD, and I was blown away by it. After watching that DVD I had to go out and get another one and I ended up getting The Live At El Mocambo DVD. After watching it I couldn't belive how good it was, much better than the other one, the sound was just brilliant. What made it so good was that it was such a small venue, and I was taken back by the fact that this huge sound was being created by only three people! It was just amazing.

Content — 7
There isn't that much on this DVD, the overall running time is 63 minutes which isn't that much compared to a lot of other DVD's. The concert itself only contains a total of twelve songs some of which aren't even that long, but because all the songs are breathtaking it makes it very enjoyable to watch over and over again. There is also some bonus material which contains a Time Line, Discography and a Interview with Double Trouble which is quite interesting. There isn't a lot on the DVD, but it is still very entertaining. Tracklisting: 01. Testify 02. So Excited 03. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) 04. Pride And Joy 05. Tell Me 06. Mary Had A Little Lamb 07. Texas Flood 08. Love Struck Baby 09. Hug You Squeeze You 10. Third Stone From The Sun 11. Lenny 12. Wham!

Production Quality — 8
The production quality isn't that bad, the picture is a bit fuzzy and everything is very dark, but it's still very good, defiantly easy to watch with some good close up camera shots.

The DVD is stunning, the whole atmosphere is brilliant everything is extremely energitic, Stevie is at his best as he opens with two brilliant guitar solos with Testify and So Excited, and he really delivers with an excellent version of Voodoo Chile which in my opinion is better than Hendrixs. It has to be one of the best preformances I've seen. I think he does an excellent version of Texas Flood which much better than the CD Version, and the interview with Double Trouble is very interesting. Good stuff, worth buying for sure.

taproute
    This is the really best live performance from SRV and Double Trouble!! This is a must to have in your collection!!
    dhalstead@pacif
    I am lucky enough to have seen SRV twice in concert in Australia and met SRV and Double Trouble backstage afterwards. SRV is the coolest, nicest guy you could ever meet. He gives you time and respects what you have to say. I bought this DVD to remember those treasured moments and the DVD does not disappoint. It is a ripper (Aussie slang for great!)
    bluesblaster
    the man definately wasnt in peak physical form, but his music still goes right through you, each note with blood and memories all over it cheers, stevie!