Live At The El Mocambo [DVD] Review

artist: Stevie Ray Vaughan date: 04/17/2006 category: compact discs
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live At The El Mocambo [DVD]
Released: Oct 29, 2002
The DVD allows the viewer to chose a lyrics on/off option, as well as different audio mixes (Dolby Surround or Stereo.)
 Content: 8.5
 Production Quality: 9
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
 1,485
Live At The El Mocambo [DVD] Reviewed by: Super Slinky PJ, on april 17, 2006

Sound: This is only my second time seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan live, the first time I saw him along with Double Trouble was on the Austin Texas DVD, and I was blown away by it. After watching that DVD I had to go out and get another one and I ended up getting The Live At El Mocambo DVD. After watching it I couldn't belive how good it was, much better than the other one, the sound was just brilliant. What made it so good was that it was such a small venue, and I was taken back by the fact that this huge sound was being created by only three people! It was just amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: The DVD is stunning, the whole atmosphere is brilliant everything is extremely energitic, Stevie is at his best as he opens with two brilliant guitar solos with Testify and So Excited, and he really delivers with an excellent version of Voodoo Chile which in my opinion is better than Hendrixs. It has to be one of the best preformances I've seen. I think he does an excellent version of Texas Flood which much better than the CD Version, and the interview with Double Trouble is very interesting. Good stuff, worth buying for sure. // 10

Live At The El Mocambo [DVD] Reviewed by: tdacdc, on august 27, 2004

Sound: The first time I watched this DVD, I couldn't get over how great of sound the band had live. Also the tone on Vaughan's guitar was amazing. This concert was shot in a famous club in Tornto, Canada called the El Mocambo. It was filmed in 1983, shortly after the release of Stevie Ray Vaughan's first cd, "Texas Flood". Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble are a blues band which is quiet evident on this DVD but Vaughan also has some rockish sounding riffs that he displays. You could definately tell that Vaughan was inspired by Jimi Hendrix. He does a great job covering Voodoo Chile and Third Stone From The Sun, which are Hendrix tunes. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD definately compares to others in my collection. They do a great job capturing the small club show oppesed to a large arena. The most impressive thing on this dvd is Vaughan's amazing guitar abilities. What I love about it is that he does such a great job covering third stone from the sun by Hendrix. What I hate about is I wish it were longer. If it were to be stolen I would buy it again. // 10

Comments