Solos, Sessions & Encores review by Stevie Ray Vaughan

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Solos, Sessions & Encores

Stevie Ray Vaughan has possibly the greatest tone ever. You can instantly recognize his playing which is probably one of the high points of this CD. Most of this material is available in his other CDs. My favorite track has to be "Albert's Shuffle." To hear SRV and Albert Collins trade licks back and forth is much more entertaining than the opening track, "The Sky is Crying" featuring Albert and B.B. King. The live cuts on this album are great as everyone knows SRV never played anything the exact same way twice with "Texas Flood" being a standout track, for the slide guitar work of Bonnie Raitt.

The lyrics are mostly classic blues lyrics. There are a few songs that I'm not so particularly fond of as they aren't "pure" SRV-style songs, but his guitar work shines in all styles.

Anything unreleased by Stevie Ray is definitely worth checking out, however, this is mostly a retread and with the exception of the live SRV cuts this album is somewhat of a disappointment. The few times on this album he steps up and lets his guitar work speak for itself are the best cuts on the track particularly "Albert's Shuffle." If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, just to have a complete collection of SRV CDs.

JimiHendrix11
    Who is better Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Vae. Definetelly Jimi but Stevie still rocks. Keep playin.
    Bobbito315
    Actually I would have to say that SRV would slay Hendrix entirely. But that's just my opinion, Jimi was a big influence on him though.
    ethan is hot
    Stevie (1) was better Jimi (2) is a CLOSE second still they are both are the 2 greatest guitarists ever and both died way too young
    Syv
    Hendrix 1st, SRV close, very close second, Santana third. For me at least. I've heard some tracks from this and like everything by SRV, it's all great. I'll be keeping an eye on this album when I get money for a new one as I, for some reason, don't have any SRV at the moment.