Texas Flood review by Stevie Ray Vaughan

• Released: Jan 28, 2013
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Texas Flood

Stevie Ray Vaughan is known for having some of the most talented guitar playing and soloing, playing all parts of the guitar neck masterfully. He's one of the best people to combine blues with rock. After having a series of concerts; some with a good crowd, some with a bad crowd, he made his huge debut with "Texas Flood," an album the made Stevie Ray Vaughan a legend in the world of guitar.

The lyrics are your average blues lyrics. They aren't as great as Bob Dylan's lyrics. But the album is much more than that. Here is my review of each song: 01. Love Struck Baby - a good way to open the album with a good intro. 02. Pride And Joy - one of the most popular songs on the album. It has good rhythm and good lyrics. 03. Texas Flood - a more traditional blues song, with some of the best soloing I've ever heard. 04. Tell Me - another traditional blues song that sounds like Lightin' Hopkins with Hendrix-style soloing. 05. Testify - a song with more Rock than Blues. It has very good soloing. 06. Rude Mood - an instrumental where Stevie Ray shows us why he is considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time. 07. Mary Had A Little Lamb - a great song which is a cover from legenedary bluesman, Buddy Guy. 08. Dirty Pool - a mellow song, which isn't the best, but still is a good song on the album. 09. I'm Crying - it's good, but it's basically the same thing as "Pride And Joy". 10. Lenny - one of the highlights of the album. It is a slow song, with a good Jazz feel to it, and a great way to close the album.

Overall, I am impressed with this album. My only complaint is that one or two of the songs sound too similar, but anybody who wants to learn guitar should listen to this album. It's one of the best blues albums I've ever heard. I do think that Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Couldn't Stand The Weather" is better, but "Texas Flood" isn't bad at all.

cap'nkirk
    Ya'll should check out albert king and stevie ray's in session album... oh wow...
    bluesblaster
    lets clear some things up here first off, it was a helicopter, not a plane. stevie had more style than that second, it was his brother jimmy who gave up his seat, not eric clapton. third, couldn't stand the weather is better because texas flood was recorded in three days, the first being wasted on the studio engineer. couldnt stand the weather had nineteen days, but you will notice the sound was not consistant. they didnt have block time, so they hide to strike their equipment after each session and set up again the next day cheers, stevie!
    BradleyGibson
    A must have for any guitar oriented music lover which should cover the realm of anyone into what they call rock and roll! Recorded in Jackson Brown's studio just after their first appearance at Montreux,many of the songs were recorded in just one take, which is how real Stevie Ray fans prefer it. It showcases the whole band in their road-proven tightness. Not to condone drug use, but I think Stevie's earlier works were much more out on the edge and way raw; like a racehorse, almost uncontollable. Don't get me wrong, the man never played a note that didn't come across like a ton of bricks to me. This album was his breakthrough, so what does that tell you? Of course it's awesome. He joins his mentors now as another legend. The likes of which shall never be seen again!
    joshblues21
    ZepFloydRock101 wrote: Stevie Ray Vaugn IS the greatest guitarist ever. period.
    I second that.
    Just_a_picker
    It was a helicopeter,not a plane. It was just Stevie's time. At least I believe it. This was the first SRV album that I bought, and it's my favorite next to his Monetruex(sp?) concert CDs.
    cman727
    stevie is the best, and always will be the best. except for john petrucci. theyre both beasts on guitar
    Spamwise
    I didn't know about the Pride and Joy/I'm Crying connection. that's pretty cool.
    [Creative Name]
    This is one of the greatest blues albums ever!!!!! Although like said before Couldn't Stand the Weather is better. I just barelly learned to play Rude Mood and it rocks!!!
    jono034
    a little comment about where you mentioned "Pride and Joy" and "I'm Cryin" sounding alot alike. . . Stevie made "Pride and Joy" when he was getting along with his wife, and "I'm Cryin" was the response to it when Stevie was not getting along with his wife. So the two songs sounding the same was inentionally done to cover both spectrums of his marriage. good review and album
    jmaraisdown
    "Dirty Pool - a mellow song, which isn't the best, but still is a good song on the album." The fuck? His tremelo picking through out the ENTIRE song is fucking NUTS! I'd kill to have a wrist like that (and it probably wasn't too bad alone in bed too ;P) but no, that song blows me away. That one, Rude Mood, and Lenny (and like the rest of them but still)
    R.RHOADS IS GOD
    stevie is awsome he may very well b the greatest guitarist of all time yes i dared say hes better than hendrix hendrix is just the most important becuase he opened the gates 4 guitar driven music
    JackWhite1988
    Every album he did like Hendrix before him should be revered as some of the best blues albums of all time. As someone else said, Vaughan tended the fields where Hendrix, Berry, Lightnin' Hopkins, Buddy Guy, Robert Johnson all planted seeds.
    that1l)ude
    Great album but if he didnt think the lyrics were great (and i dont either) then he shouldnt have gave it a nine. shocked its the first review espescially this being a guitar site.
    Guitar_Poet
    only recently got into teh Stevie cuz im more into rockish sound.. but im expandin. and Stevie kicks ass.
    gmsje
    Since you like this album, you should check out Couldn't Stand the Weather, which is my personal Stevie favorite. It has what I consider his two signature songs, Cold Shot and Tin Pan Alley, as well as his fantastic cover of Jimi's Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). All of the cuts are great, and has some of his best studio work.
    fenderguy90
    I agree im into the blues and hearing Stevie play is incredible this is a sweet album and Stevie is a big influence on me he was one of a kind.
    bsdrocker78
    If it wasnt for f***** eric clapton...Stevie Ray would still be alive b/c eric clapton gave SRV his seat on the airplane because he didnt need it...it should have been clapton dying in the plane crash not stevie. Stevie plays the best blues/rock ever and kicks claptons ass