The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan Review

artist: Stevie Ray Vaughan date: 01/25/2006 category: compact discs
Stevie Ray Vaughan: The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan
Released: Oct 1, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Modern Electric Blues, Blues-Rock, Electric Texas Blues, Texas Blues, Modern Electric Texas Blues, Album Rock
The collection presents Vaughan's material in roughly chronological order.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on january 25, 2006

Sound: One of the worst things in music history was when Stevie Ray Vaughn was killed in a helicopter crash on August 27, 1990, at age 36. The music he created was simply amazing and feriously energetic. This track compiles all that was Stevies best, and presents it perfectly. With 33 tracks, you couldnt ask for a better CD. The sound is perfect, even the live sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit perfectly over the music. It's blues, jazz, country rock, and rock. His voice fits with what hes playing, but it's definitly the combination of his lyrics and his guitar that make it fit so smoothly. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is just downright spectacular. If you like SRV, or have wanted to check out his music, pick this up. It's definitly the CD that has been in my car the most. His music will blow you away, and you won't be able to deny the greatness that was SRV. Get this CD. If I lost it I would buy 2 more copies, and if someone stole it I would snap. // 10

The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan Reviewed by: tdacdc, on august 09, 2004

Sound: This is a great blues cd, it takes everything that muddy waters, B.B King, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Lightning Hopkins and Buddy Guy did and turned into something even better. This 2 cd set is a great collection of Stevie's hits and more. He plays great blues guitar, and takes it to the next level. It is probably the best guitar cd I own. There is also a stream of great live tracks on this cd, whisch makes it sound better. // 10

Lyrics: On this cd this is a good amount of covers, for example Voodoo Chile, Mary Had A Little Lamb, The Sky Is Crying, and Little Wing. Most of the songs seem to be about his relationship with a girl. Like Lenny, the instrumental that he wrote for his wife. Then, there's Life by the Drop a song that doyle Bramhall, Stevie's friend wrote for him about Vaughan's drinking habit's. Life By The Drop is a great slow acoustic blues song. Stevie Ray Vaughan can also do some amzing things on the guitar while simging at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite cd's by my favourite guitarist, it's one of the best in my collection. The most impressive somgs from the album are probably Lovestruck Baby, Pride And Joy, lenny, Scuttle Buttin', Voodoo Chile, Come On, Life Without You, The House Is Rockin', Crossfire and Life By The Drop. What I love about this Cd is most of the songs are different from each other so it is interesting to listen right through. If it were stolen I would definitley buy it again. // 10

The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan Reviewed by: The Fiddler, on september 27, 2005

Sound: As expected from a SRV Greatest Hits, the sound quality is high and a typical listener would not be able to find a deviation from the original recordings. The blues-rock fusion master's signiture tracks are all included as well as a few live recordings deemed worthy enough to make it to this album. Tracks such as "Couldn't Stand the Weather" are fresh and innovative even decades after it was first recorded. His rendition of "Little Wing" brings out his unique style and is probably the best example of his solo playing form. It's a standing testiment to SRV and a tribute to his untimely death. // 9

Lyrics: Although he is best known for his blues riffs, he is a decent blues singer as well and is rather talented at incorperating lyrics into his music. Though artists like Buddy Guy or Muddy Waters may be better lyric writers and vocalists, Stevie his unique in his own right. // 8

Overall Impression: Since this is a well compiled Greatest Hits album, it's safe to say it is the best album one can buy especially if one is new to SRV or blues in general. A SRV fan with most of his previous albums need not buy this album since most of his notable tracks are on the 2-disc compilation. // 9

Comments