Of Love And Lunacy Review

9.2
 8.8
 9.6
Of Love And Lunacy Reviewed by: michael_allen, on august 02, 2006

Sound: Still Remains' deubut album "Of Love And Lunacy" is simply mindblowing. Blending heavy guitar riffs with keyboard melodys, the band create something truly special. This is especially true on the song "White Walls" which has an intro which is too good to describe, you just have to hear it for yourself. // 9

Lyrics: Esentially, the singer has a growling voice although there are certain more melodic sections of vocals. Every member of the band are Christian although this only effects the lyrics in a few songs (and it's hardly noticable anyway); for example "Oh God we feel your spirt, shining, down on us". // 9

Overall Impression: Still Remains have been labeled as Metalcore although they tend to stray from the stereotypical sound of a Metalcore band which lends them a deal of originality. Although it is hard to choose, the most impressive songs on the album would have to be "The Worst Is Yet To Come," "White Walls," "Recovery," "I Can Revive Him With My Own Hands." I would have to say the weakest song on the album is the final track "Blossom, The Witch", I'm not saying it is a bad song but it's just not quite as good as all the others. "I Can Revive Him With My Own Hands" is a remake from the song of the same name from their debut EP "If Love Was Born To Die". The EP version is much better so if possible pick up a copy of the EP. It also has the old version of "Recovery" on, although I have not heard it. If you are a fan of heavy yet melodic music this album is definatly for you. // 9

Of Love And Lunacy Reviewed by: Simon Acreman, on may 17, 2007

Sound: Blending metalcore riffs with synthesised melodies sounds almost impossible, but Still Remains pull it off beautifully. The guitar work is flawless and the keyboard parts make sure that there is not a dull moment. After getting over the mediocre screaming (compared with the likes of Killswitch Engage and others), I now love every note of this masterpiece that is 'Of Love and Lunacy'. // 9

Lyrics: The screaming could be improved, but on the scale of things, it's a minor blip on the radar. The actual singing compliments the sound and overall feel fantastically. Of the actual lyrics themselves; I'm not sure, I buy music for the music and ability of the band to pull off something awesome. Therefore, I have not focussed on the lyrics enough to comment. // 8

Overall Impression: As new boys on the block, they pull a pretty hard punch compared with older bands. Their sound, vocals, playing are all superb. There is little more that could be asked for. I honestly cannot fault this album at all. Song to look out for include 'White Walls' and 'The Worst is Yet to Come'. However, There isn't a single song on there I don't like. // 9

Of Love And Lunacy Reviewed by: aenimafist, on january 14, 2008

Sound: I want to say this album sounds like a symphonic metal armageddon. When everything explodes in the first track, you know you're in for a ride right then and there. The guitars sound good and have a nice heavy tone, and when they get to "The Worst Is Yet to Come", they just go crazy. The drummer I must say has some mad skills, and the addition of a keyboardist adds to the feeling of the music almost making it sound like Dimmu Borgir. // 9

Lyrics: Not much to say here. I wasn't really impressed with the vocal style of the singer but he held his own all the same. The lyrics are very undistinguishable and hard to hear at times. Sometimes you hear one phrase and then another that is just sort of jumbled in on top of it and they seem to make no sense. The lyrics from "TWIYTC" are probably the best followed by Kelsey. // 8

Overall Impression: Still Remains could be compared with just about anyone in their genre of metal which really doesn't give them a lot of individuality. It kind of makes them blend in with their surroundings. Unlike Opeth who stand out marvelously in the symphonic death metal area. The songs on this album are fun to listen to every once in awhile but they wouldn't be on top of the list of my songs most likely to listen to. I thought it was a pretty impressive debut however. Best songs: The Worst is Yet to Come, White Walls, Kelsey. // 9

Comments