The Serpent review by Still Remains

• Released: Aug 7, 2007
Still Remains: The Serpent

Masterful. All around. The guitar work on this album is brilliant. After touring with metal acts such as Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium, vestiges of their sound can be heard in Still Remains' new album. Definite growth can be heard in their playing since "of Love And Lunacy", their debut. The music compliments the anger of the lyrics and helps create the albums overall mood very well.

The lyrics are poetic at times and very straight forward at others. Vocalist T.J. Miller says he has opened up with writting on the new album and that he is no longer afraid to write about things he had once only alluded to. The singing is first rate. The screaming is the wild card. While many screaming bands have a screamer you either love or hate (which is often either hinders or helps the band), Still Remains has screaming that is inbetween. there are times when it works and times when it doesn't. Still, the vocalists are skillful and powerful.

The album overall is great. Like Bullet For My Valentine? Trivium? Pick up the new Still Remains album. It's worth the investment. Listening to songs such as "The Wax Walls Of An Empty Room", I found myself compelled to search the UG archives for the tabs, which unfortunately do not exist. If you're a guitar enthusiast, it's a great album with fantastic riffs, so buy it and tab it so I can learn to play it.

TeenBite
    Erm, That review is full of fail. Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium are not metal. I feel that the album is a real step down for them. Of Love And Lunacy was such a good album, and it feels like they wanted to do nothing more than sell out with this record from day one. Generic riffs, sub-par singing, and an overall hollow recording. Also, when the singer tries to alternate between singing and screaming in one line he fails miserably.