The Serpent review by Still Remains

• Released: Aug 7, 2007
Still Remains: The Serpent

After their debut album 'Of Love and Lunacy', I thought that Still Remains couldn't get better. In fact, I was wrong. As well as the sound quality, they have ironed out the few problems they had in their previous album. The keyboards take a more prominant role in their sound, giving their sound more distinctive qualities than before. Not many bands can mix sythesisers and gritty guitar riffs well, as bands like Enter Shikari have shown, but Still Remains have perfected what had seemed impossible before. My only problem with this album after the original is that it now sounds perhaps somewhat over-produced.

The lyrics in this album are very personal and down to earth, breaking away from the image that metal music has to have brutal inhumane lyrics. This is certainly a listener's album. I find that the toned down lyrics fit the feel of their songs well, although it's a shame that the aggressive screaming of the previous album seems depleted in this ablum, but the lyrics that are being sung do not really warrant that type of vocal sound. The screaming that is there has improved on the empty sound of the previous album and is more dominant where it was drowned by the guitars.

Still Remains have proved themselves worthy of the metalcore sector of the musical world. They have hard-hitting sounds, very distinct and catchy keyboard melodies that add a new aspect of metal that has rarely been seen before. They are certainly contenders to even veterans in this feild of music like Killswitch Engage. This is definately an album worth having in the collection.