There Be Squabbles Ahead review by Stolen Babies

• Released: Jul 29, 2008
Stolen Babies: There Be Squabbles Ahead

Stolen Babies is a Californian band, to their debut in the scene metal with the album "There Be Squabbles Ahead", even if you/he/she has been released in October of the 2006. The kind of music to which they belong, is somewhat unusual, because their sound is a fusion of the "Avant-garde metal" and "Dark Cabaret" . The most experts metal listeners to know more easily what the "Avant-garde is , but more difficult to know what the" Dark Cabaret" is , but let us be clear I will make a short explanation for both types of music: Avan-garde: is a subgenre of heavy metal music characterized by the use of innovative, avant-garde elements, large-scale experimentation, and the use of non-standard sounds, instruments, and song structures. Dark Cabaret: is a music genre that blends the aesthetics of the decadent, risqu German Weimar-era cabarets and 1920s burlesque and vaudeville shows with the morbid, gloomy stylings of post-1970s-goth culture, gothic rock, punk, deathrock, and darkwave music. Dark cabaret music usually features passionate, deep female or male vocals. The vocals are usually accompanied by a sparse piano accompaniment, along with strings (cello or violin) and other instruments such as the accordion or trumpet. After this brief explanation, I think you will be made more of an idea on the sound of this band. If you have not yet ideas in mind you should immediately go to listen, because at the level of sound is unique and can easily carry the listener in a macabre world, but also fun, like the original soundtrack of "Nightmare Before Christmas" , even in a totally different way and I think better. With regard to the exceptional instrumental part, the singer Dominique Lenore Persi which also has a beautiful voice, masterfully playing the accordion; Rani Sharone that I was one of the best bass players today, you just feel the amount of work he did on the album and with the bass guitar and with the bass; is also a masterful job of Ben Rico with keyboards that has managed to give expression and depth of the album; as drummer Gil Sharone, who someone already know as drummer also for "Dillinger Escape Plan ", said that there is little else to add, great drummer; Davin Givhan, are no longer in the band, who played the good rhythm with the guitar. Stolen Babies is said to be a unique band that has amassed a following with its energetic and freakish live shows. The group's musical style is a cauldron of ideas that serves up a wonderful variety of vibrant styles meshed together into a pure chaotic frenzy.

The lyrics of this album, blend in perfectly with the sound macabre, as with metaphors or situations rather "special" and especially "macabre" such as these: ... If I bend my hands back enough What can I pull out of my blood? All the stories that my spirit run away from Have they erased me? Will I wash my hands of me? ... From "Tall Tales"i> ... Can not see with the blood seeping Red and rushed, frozen speech Stinging scales of skin scraping ... From "Gathering Fingers" In most of the texts there are references to the thought that the band has on society, but especially on the life and desire to live. For this fact are very beautiful, but in my opinion guilty of little depth and to send a little confusion in the listener. The singing of Dominique Persi is great, since beginning with a sung "Metalcore" in the first song "Spill!" , and then change into "Lifeless," a ballad in which Dominique sings with a voice sweet and gentle, and this "duality" along the entire album.

"There Be Squabbles Ahead" I just like the first listening, and even after careful listening to my expectations were not disappointed, this album is a great breath of fresh air into the metal stand, and recommend to all fans of metal, council who was also a pleasure this album, listen to the "Stolen Babies" Ep that the band has published a year before "There Be Squabbles Ahead."

Somnambulance
    I'm sorry, but this not avant-garde. Maybe you should listen to the genre before you use it to categorize. Dark Cabaret, however, most definitely. Anyway, they're better than I expected. Fairly original and interesting, actually. The lead singer's a cutie too.
    Eternium
    Wow, I've forgotten about this band (perhaps because nobody mentions them) so thanks for reminding me.
    Fool Dominhated
    Somnambulance
    Fool Dominhated wrote: Somnambulance : I'm sorry, but this not avant-garde. Maybe you should listen to the genre before you use it to categorize. Dark Cabaret, however, most definitely. Meanwhile, I am a fan of Avant-garde because I listen to bands like "Unexpect" , "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum", "Meshuggah", "Dog Fashion Disco" , "Fantomas" , "Isis" and "Neurosis" which for me are the best bands of this genre ; and, in my review, I explained why I called this album Avant-garde. If you is not so, that means interpreting the Avant-garde in a way different from mine, but certainly not because you are an expert on me about that.
    Yeah, we've got different views on what avant garde is, I guess. I see it as free jazz, no wave, atonal music, and other musics that are simply the outer reaches of what is considered music. A few examples: Ornette Coleman, Iannis Xenakis, Edgard Varese, Glenn Branca, Brian Eno, John Cage, stuff like that. I get your definition of avant-garde is now. Thanks for turning me onto the band, either way. By the way, you've got good taste in movies. Ingmar Bergman and Luis Bunuel are amazing.
    jorgeestevezII
    One of the best albums of the year. and "Fool Dominhated" Meshuggah is not a good AG example.
    seanplaysforblb
    avante-garde is not a sub genre of metal. and it isnt a solid genre. all it means is that the bands don't categorize their sound and follow typical musical guidelines.
    Bassman366
    avant-garde metal is a new genre. I mean, it's clear it could be sub-categorized again. Example: Dodheimsgard vs unexpecT vs ...And Oceans vs Carnival in Coal. YOu can easily make 4 other sub-genres with them. SB is definitly AG. And they definitly rock.
    Skabug
    This album is Avant-garde, and thats the way it is! =D Stolen Babies are a great and impressing band! xD