There Be Squabbles Ahead Review

Stolen Babies: There Be Squabbles Ahead
Released: Jul 29, 2008
Genre: Avant-Garde Metal, Dark Cabaret
Label: Phantom Sound & Vision
Stolen Babies is a Californian band, to their debut in the scene metal with the album "There Be Squabbles Ahead".
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
There Be Squabbles Ahead Reviewed by: Fool Dominhated, on january 23, 2009

Sound: Stolen Babies is a Californian band, to their debut in the scene metal with the album "There Be Squabbles Ahead", even if you/he/she has been released in October of the 2006. The kind of music to which they belong, is somewhat unusual, because their sound is a fusion of the "Avant-garde metal" and "Dark Cabaret" . The most experts metal listeners to know more easily what the "Avant-garde is , but more difficult to know what the" Dark Cabaret" is , but let us be clear I will make a short explanation for both types of music: Avan-garde: is a subgenre of heavy metal music characterized by the use of innovative, avant-garde elements, large-scale experimentation, and the use of non-standard sounds, instruments, and song structures. Dark Cabaret: is a music genre that blends the aesthetics of the decadent, risqu German Weimar-era cabarets and 1920s burlesque and vaudeville shows with the morbid, gloomy stylings of post-1970s-goth culture, gothic rock, punk, deathrock, and darkwave music. Dark cabaret music usually features passionate, deep female or male vocals. The vocals are usually accompanied by a sparse piano accompaniment, along with strings (cello or violin) and other instruments such as the accordion or trumpet. After this brief explanation, I think you will be made more of an idea on the sound of this band. If you have not yet ideas in mind you should immediately go to listen, because at the level of sound is unique and can easily carry the listener in a macabre world, but also fun, like the original soundtrack of "Nightmare Before Christmas" , even in a totally different way and I think better. With regard to the exceptional instrumental part, the singer Dominique Lenore Persi which also has a beautiful voice, masterfully playing the accordion; Rani Sharone that I was one of the best bass players today, you just feel the amount of work he did on the album and with the bass guitar and with the bass; is also a masterful job of Ben Rico with keyboards that has managed to give expression and depth of the album; as drummer Gil Sharone, who someone already know as drummer also for "Dillinger Escape Plan ", said that there is little else to add, great drummer; Davin Givhan, are no longer in the band, who played the good rhythm with the guitar. Stolen Babies is said to be a unique band that has amassed a following with its energetic and freakish live shows. The group's musical style is a cauldron of ideas that serves up a wonderful variety of vibrant styles meshed together into a pure chaotic frenzy. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album, blend in perfectly with the sound macabre, as with metaphors or situations rather "special" and especially "macabre" such as these: ... If I bend my hands back enough What can I pull out of my blood? All the stories that my spirit run away from Have they erased me? Will I wash my hands of me? ... From "Tall Tales"i> ... Can not see with the blood seeping Red and rushed, frozen speech Stinging scales of skin scraping ... From "Gathering Fingers" In most of the texts there are references to the thought that the band has on society, but especially on the life and desire to live. For this fact are very beautiful, but in my opinion guilty of little depth and to send a little confusion in the listener. The singing of Dominique Persi is great, since beginning with a sung "Metalcore" in the first song "Spill!" , and then change into "Lifeless," a ballad in which Dominique sings with a voice sweet and gentle, and this "duality" along the entire album. // 8

Overall Impression: "There Be Squabbles Ahead" I just like the first listening, and even after careful listening to my expectations were not disappointed, this album is a great breath of fresh air into the metal stand, and recommend to all fans of metal, council who was also a pleasure this album, listen to the "Stolen Babies" Ep that the band has published a year before "There Be Squabbles Ahead." // 8

Comments