Stone Review

Stone: Stone
Released: Mar 30, 1988
Genre: Thrash/Speed Metal
Label: Megamania
It's pretty rare that a Finnish thrash metal band gets famous. But Stone is an exception. It's thrash at its best. Sounds something like Megadeth or Metallica, but still got their own sound.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Stone Reviewed by: zannibal, on january 16, 2012

Sound: It's pretty rare that a Finnish thrash metal band gets famous. Finnish is usually known from melodic stuff like Nightwish, Children Of Bodom, folk metal and so on. But Stone is an exception. And a good one. It's thrash at its best. Sounds something like Megadeth or Metallica, but still got their own sound. Guitar players are really skilled, which isn't a big surprise when talking about Roope Latvala. Of course when talking about thrash metal, music is pretty riff-based. I have to admit, there wasn't that much out-of-this-world-riffs, but not bad. The opening riff of "Get Stoned" sounds like Metallica's "Enter The Sandman" - but it this was released years before that one. As a fan of Malmsteen (who again sneaks into review) and neo-classical metal, I really like the little classical sounding parts they added there, like the guitar melody after first solo in song "Eat Your Pride" or the acoustic part at the middle of "The Day Of Death". It really looks like Finnish people just can't make music without something melodic, and it's a good thing. The only thing that I would change is much less gain to guitars. But other than that, it's musically awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are just like other thrash bands. I'm not very good at searching the meaning behind them and it's next to impossible to find anything from the internet. But it seems to be pretty basic stuff. I'm pretty sure they didn't pay that much attention to lyrics. Singer has a good voice. It's actually nothing like other thrash bands. It doesn't sound evil like Tom Araya, it's not as unique as Dave Mustaine and nothing else that I've heard. The singer isn't "a gift from god" or anything very special, but it really fits the music, so who cares. // 9

Overall Impression: I, like many others, got to know the band because of Roope Latvala and Children Of Bodom. Funny enough, Children Of Bodom made a cover of Stone's "No Commands". I loved the cover, and checked the original band. It's really cool thrash album, and I love those little classical things they added. It's not too serious - just listen to the "Final Countdown" cover. So far my favorite song is "No Commands". But I'm sure other songs will get as good as that one in some time. If you're in need of good music and you like thrash metal make sure you check this out! // 10

Comments