Burn The Witch review by Stone Gods

• Released: Feb 25, 2008
Stone Gods: Burn The Witch

Born from the ashes of The Darkness this new band owes a lot to it's predecessor. This first CD finds the band not finding it's feet as one would expect, but very much you feel in their flow. The only new addition to the band is bass player Toby Macfarlaine, who seems to fit in seemlessly. The title track burn the witch gives the listener the impression however, things with this band are going to be different, be heavier, more racous. The opening riff comes straight out of the NWOBHM, and the rest of the song continues in that same, overdriven and overblown way. But the other three songs revert to the tried and tested "Darkness" mode. Catchy riffs & clever hooks all round. No bad thing then, but nothing new.

The lyrics are laden with Darkness references. All four songs are full of disgustly hilarious quips. "The flames are going to lick around your wizards sleeve" in the title track being a personal favourite. "You Brought a Knife to the Gunfight" might sound a rediculous proposition, but they seem to get across a message, or maybe that's just me reading too much into it. "Heartburn" however sits in that "Growing On Me" category of so innuendous, it's not actually an innuendo. To compare Edwards to Hawkins would be unfair, so I won't. Not only because of that however, but because he does do a good job on his own. The title track might be where he likes it best, straining to get a scream. However the other songs prove he can carry the tune without trying too hard. If you like lyrics with far to much sarcasim, you'll be fine here.

Overall, I think this is really solid, it's not even a whole album, but it oozes with confidence. These guys know that they can do it, they've done it before. The songwriting is professional, if not to a well used formula. Dan's playing is less flambouyant than his brothers, but that is no bad thing. His solos seem to fit better, more Kossof than Herman Li. If I lost it now, yeah I would buy it again. Might now be the same when the album comes out though.

Sam Mézec
    Awesome EP, every song kicks ass. Just as good as The Darkness, but in a completely different way. Can't wait for the album.