Silver Spoons And Broken Bones review by Stone Gods

• Released: Jul 7, 2008
Stone Gods: Silver Spoons And Broken Bones

Well, the first thing I can say is that although 2 (3 at the time of the recording) members of this band may be from the Darkness, this is a completely different beast. They are heavier, darker, and they have lost the catsuits and falsetto voices. This joke has probably been made in one of the other reviews, but I will say it anyway; "Light Truly has Come out of the Darkness!" Next thing: Although many people consider 'Burn the Witch' to be their best song, and it is the most publicized, I would reccomend that before saying you like/dislike the band, listen to 'You Brought a Knife to a Gunfight', 'Knight of the Living Dead' and 'Defend or Die' as they are, IMO, much better songs. The band take influences from a lot of Classic Rock. They say that Thin Lizzy is a main influence, and although almost every Thin Lizzy fan I know does like it, I cannot really see the resemblance.

The Lyrics are impressive, I usually dislike bands that literally scream into their mics, but this is more tuneful and melodic. The lyrics make sense most of the time, and in some songs, such as 'Oh Where 'o my Beer'O, are even quite funny! My only criticism is the fact that the lyrics sometimes get a little repetitive and boring, but maybe I am biased, giving that I have listened to this album way too much!

This is a brilliant album, combining great lyrics, some shredding classic rock inspired solos, guitar riffs that could knock some greats dead, and definitely beat most bands with a similarly sized fan base to theirs. The lyrics sound great in combination with the guitar The best part of the enitre album, however, is that the band are playing what they want to play, not what is popular or what will make them filthy rich. This really comes across in the music, in all it's thick textured, loud glory. You will be itching to learn the songs after hearing the album! All I can say, is buy, turn your volume up to 10, listen for a while, then work them out and post them so I can learn them too!