Audio Secrecy review by Stone Sour

• Released: Sep 7, 2010
Stone Sour: Audio Secrecy

Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor, easily one of the most talented singers in rock music, and 'Knot cohort, guitarist Jim Root, return with Stone Sour, their "other" project. It cannot simply be dubbed a "side" project, since the band has Grammy nominations and gold records under their belts and are so much more than an offshoot they work on in their spare time when Slipknot goes on hiatus. Stone Sour also have an array of hit singles, to boot, from previous albums in the form of "Bother" and "Through Glass" while Audio Secrecy's "Say You'll Haunt Me" is propelling the band at this current moment. The band is adept at melding melodic and metallic, and they sure inflict their share of sonic bruises with "Mission Statement," "Let's Be Honest" and "Digital (Did You Tell.)" Audio Secrecy is the most polished Stone Sour record of the three, but none of the edges have been dulled or blunted; Taylor is too intense ever be muted and his cast of players gel to form an ironclad musical curtain. Take a listen to "Unfinished" if you want to know what a Stone Sour punch in the face feels like. While many Slipknot worshipping maggots wonder why Taylor and Root go the Stone Sour route, it's simple; Stone Sour is an outlet for them to do their thing and to do something else, which is a noble and beautiful pursuit for a musician. Sure, Stone Sour are more traditional than their main outlet, yet the music is still heavy enough to scare the little kid next door. The songwriting is tight and memorable and a bit cleaner, which helps elevate the band a notch above their peers. Stone Sour's closest relatives with Audio Secrecy are Stone Temple Pilots and Disturbed, as all three bands have masterfully learned how to pit bone-shattering riffs alongside unforgettable choruses. That is not as easy at is sounds. Have you tried it?

Corey Taylor seems to be in a better mental space and place on Audio Secrecy. But don't doubt that his enraged vocals can still inflict blunt force trauma with their power. He's more introspective and less an anti-hero on Audio Secrecy, and while he explores more mature topics and subject matters, he's not getting geriatric on us. He's just showing us another side of his dynamic personality. Dying is a ballad where Taylor's expressive voice is painfully immediate as he sings, You leave me suffering til I can't feel a thing / It's all I got when I want more. It's a simple but poignant statement that the dudes and the chicks that go to see Stone Sour live can easily relate to. When he repeats, Tell me who I am on Mission Statement, you can't help but wonder if he found the answer he needed or wanted to the person he poses that proclamation to. That's the richness of Audio Secrecy you are left with questions and any good piece of art doesn't provide all of the answers.

Some diehard fans of Taylor and Root's other band may be confounded by Stone Sour, but to not give the band a fair shake would be an incredible disservice to themselves. The rest of the band is tight as a pair of Jenna Jameson's pants. Drummer Roy Mayorga, late of Soulfly, is the rhythmic foundation, pounding the skins and sounding like monstrous and startling claps of thunder, all of which is complemented by bassist Shawn Economaki. Guitarist Josh Rand also adds to the album's heft. This is one secret you will want to share.

skatarist4life
    This is a pretty good album coming from Stone Sour. My favorites at the moment are "Hesitate""Say you'll haunt me""Digital""Mission Statement". Corey's voice is as great as ever and continues to improve as the other members of SS. [My cover of "Say you'll haunt me" on these sites]
    http://b lip.tv/file/4084126 "Audio Secrecy" from Stone Sour is out as a whole album today This is my tribute to Stone Sour for their awesome work. Hope you guys enjoy \m/\m/
    EpiExplorer
    JB95 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: FUCK YOU, REVIEW. I spent 2 hours wiritng mine 2 days ago.. D:< ...But yeah, get the digipak version. Nylon 6/6 is the best song on the album. Whaaat? Mission Statement and Say You'll Haunt Me is way better! (IMO) Dying, Unfinished, Hasitate and Miracles are good too. Corey is really talented btw (not referring to the one I quoted) and saying anything else is ignorant.
    He's talented for an american metal singer, which is nothing to go by in this day and age where all the best metal vocalists are swedish, english or finnish. Or German.
    DifferentWorld
    I haven't had a chance to hear the album yet, but from what I can gather in the comments, the only people who hate it seem to hate EVERYTHING, so... Don't get me wrong, I can get into Mayhem and ****ing Necrophagist if I'm in the mood for them, but I've always appreciated Stone Sour as a more traditional heavy(ish) metal band, more comfortably listened to with a side of Iron Maiden and a nice Chianti. PROTIP: Just because it's come out after 2001 does not automatically make it awful.
    JohnnyChimpo241
    he said one of, not the best. get it right before you start flaming.
    skylerjames13
    Listening to it right now. So far, I'm about 3/4 way through, and I really like this album. Can really feel his anger, but also his more melodic singing kicks just as much ass. Loving this album. To the people who just love to troll. Can't you take a break for one day or something? Geez.
    Fred1000000
    See this? This guy right here? he mad
    ferretbassit11
    to be honest this imo is stone sours worst album i couldnt have been more disappointed "(come)whatever may" i think was there best album
    styxfan226
    I lol'd.
    avpr212
    S-Tallica wrote: I can't help but think if Corey Taylor wasn't hugely famouns from slipknot then Stone Sour would just be another average band that no one really cares about..
    This is why you should be able to like comments
    the_unforgiven6
    styxfan226 wrote: Fred100000 wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: Panasonic3 wrote: poopy review. he just defended them the whole time.This. Stone Sour is shit. Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor, easily one of the most talented singers in rock musicAre you kidding me? I can list like 10 singers who clearly have a much better voice than Corey Taylor. Wow. Really? He's a terrible vocalist! See this? This guy right here? he mad I lol'd.
    haha me too
    =McS=
    I got it. I love it. It's really good. And seriously, if you don't like Stone Sour or Slipknot, why are you here? Just to bash on people who do? or the reviewer? Go away, douche.
    fallen.im
    hey crazysam23_Atax, bet your top 1 on your list is justin beiber..?! hahaha.!!! do yourself a favor man, GET A LIFE..!!
    Lachlan9383
    love these guys Digital (Did You Tell.) i think is the best song on the record...
    drooce
    oh come on, it just sounds like this dude has a serious boner for stone sour. i want to hear some actual criticism. I like stone sour as well but dont you think you should list both the pros AND cons when reviewing something?
    JB95
    metallica2354
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Are you kidding me? I can list like 10 singers who clearly have a much better voice than Corey Taylor. Wow. Really? He's a terrible vocalist!
    So he's number 11 then? Not bad!
    S-Tallica
    gl.tch
    I'm pretty sure this review could stand to lose a few adjectives.
    mudswitch
    Solid album, Stone Sour once again prove their worth. Their mix of ballads and heavier songs is pretty awesome and they do it a lot better than most bands out there, funnier even more because it's a 'side project'. I think it's awesome that Corey shows his amazing musicianship through two different genre's and the transition is seemless.
    FearOfTheDuck
    theflyingapple wrote: i havent checked these guys out yet. wat songs do u recommend? and dont say through glass
    Just listen to the albums and have your own opinion. Very talented musicians, am looking foward to the SS/A7X tour!
    Skinny91
    I love Stone Sour, really enjoyed the album, I've only listened through it once but I think Come What (Ever) May is still going to be my favorite album by them, still blows me away every time I hear it through.
    hildesaw
    I have listened to the whole album only once, but I have to say: the rocking songs rock (ie mission statement), but the mellow songs blow. And I genera"ly appreciate mellow songs
    EpiExplorer
    Caboose911
    Galvatron wrote: I am more of a Slipknot fan but there are still Stone sour songs I can get into. This album has no good songs in my opinion.A lot of songs I expect to hear on the radio in between Nickelback and Disturbed.
    Disturbed kicks ass.
    Shabalaba
    Going to write a review of this album once my copy comes through the post, only had 1 listen but it wasn't anywhere near as good as Come Whatever May
    Lion_Slicer
    Stone Sour isn't a "side project" at all considering they started 5 years before Taylor and Root joined Slipknot (though their debut album came out only once they reformed). I never thought I would like them, from hearing the shit on the radio (my hometown's radio stations are ****ING AWFUL btw) I just thought it would be "Slipknot Ultra-Light." Thankfully Pandora just loves to prove me wrong. I actually like them, on average, much more than Slipknot.
    metallica144
    Panasonic3 wrote: poopy review. he just defended them the whole time.
    maybe because it's a fantastic album
    Galvatron
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    I like that it appears Stone Sour are trying a more alternative sound, maybe their stuff can be seperated from comparisons to recent Slipknot albums (I love both)
    ChildofBelial
    cabbie_boy1005 wrote: theflyingapple, Orchids is by far my favorite song they have ever done
    I agree. Orchids is my favorite as well.
    crazysam23_Atax
    Panasonic3 wrote: poopy review. he just defended them the whole time.
    This. Stone Sour is shit.