Come What(ever) May review by Stone Sour

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Stone Sour: Come What(ever) May

It's hard to sum up the sound of this album in one word or sentence because Stone Sour has so many sounds and styles on Come What(ever) May. Those who like Slipknot won't be disappointed because the fact that Corey and Jim are both in Slipknot shows. Songs like 30/30-150 and Reborn are heavier and Slipknot fans will probably take quickly to these. Other songs like Through Glass and Zzyxx Road showcase Corey's vocal talent and anyone who liked Bother will like these two a lot. Cardiff sounds a lot like the songs on their self titled debut album. They even go back to an older rock sound for one song (Sillyworld). The verses are very reminiscent of Pink Floyd, while the chorus sounds a lot more like traditional Stone Sour. There is also an '80s style solo that comes out of nowhere and is one of the best solos on the album. And that's something there are a lot of on the album. Josh Rand and Jim Root are brilliant guitarists and there is a great solo in almost every song. Even Corey contributes a solo at the very end of Zzyxx Road. Anyone who enjoyed Stone Sour's first ablum will like this one as well.

I'm definetly not the first to say it, but Corey Taylor is one of the most brilliant song writers in music today. He also does an amazing job conveying his emotions in each song. He draws on a lot of past experiences in Zzyxx Road, and you can feel his anger in songs like Come What(ever) May and 30/30-150.

Overall this is another great album from a great band. You'll find yourself constantly coming back for more, and the songs will be stuck in your head even if you haven't listened to the album in a while. The most impressive songs are Hell and Consequences, Come What(ever) May and Through Glass. Anyone who liked Bother will also be very impressed by Zzyxx Road. I also liked 30/30-150 and Your God a lot. In fact there isn't a song on this CD that I skip when listening to it. I really can't find anything I hate or even dislike about the album, and if it were lost or stolen I would definetly buy it again. Overall a great album that has me eagerly awaiting their next one.

shadowsofbodom
    i loved stone sour when their first album came out, and only heard a few songs from this one, im not sure if i should buy it, oh yeah...midnight's a f***in dumbass, um, slipknot's not even close to power metal or thrash, they are completely mainstream nu-metal you get it right