Come What(ever) May review by Stone Sour

• Released: Jun 4, 2007
Stone Sour: Come What(ever) May

As a band that had become more of a side project to Slipknot, Stone Sour's second effort is a musically solid, meaningful album. Loaded with everything from political to social commentary, well-thought-out and -executed solos, and a creative rhythm section, Stone Sour hits hard. 01. 30/30-150 - a great headbanging trip, a frantic sixteenth-note blitz with double kicks to match. This is a great song to work on rhythm with. 02. Come What(ever) May - the title track is a lyrically scathing commentary on politics and George Bush, with a flowing beat and fiery solos. 03. Hell & Consequences - more of a declaration of independence than what it sounds like (an angry rant), the Arabic-themed solo will keep you entertained the whole song through. 04. Sillyworld - on't let the pseudo-acoustic intro fool you, the song progresses into something much angrier than one might think. Social commentary included with purchase. 05. Made Of Scars - a decent song whose only fault is sounding thrown together, the sections don't mesh as well as they could. 06. Reborn - the lyrics say it all: "This is the start of something!" A fast-paced bruiser with a Nirvana-style approach (quiet, loud, repeat). 07. Your God - a longer arrangement, but one well worth the length. 08. Through Glass - a simple, yet beautiful, acoustic song, with well-orchestrated guitar parts. 09. Socio - a song that does a great job of conveying angst without heavy use of power chords and distortion, heck, maybe even mainstream radio fodder. 10. 1st Person - heavy, fast, and angsty; everything you look for in a metal song! 11. Cardiff - I'm sure the song means something, but I can't figure it out. Manages to make a point that usually requires screaming, without screaming. 12. Zzyzx Rd. - an astounding roller coaster of piano, softly whispered vocals, and what sounds like a man spilling his fears to you. It then progresses into an amazing showcase of the band's ability to suit any emotion thrown at them, as well as Corey's shredding abilities.

Corey Taylor does a good job of broadening his horizons lyrically, coaxing out every feeling from blind fury to sympathy without sounding pretentious at all. His lyrics mesh beautifully with the music itself, and his abilities speak for themselves. The lyrics actually mean something, which is a huge plus for a modern rock/metal band.

Stone Sour is definitely an underrated act in modern rock and metal, as this record proves that they are a force to be reckoned with. What was a side project is now the main event, and the group feels much more natural than Taylor and Root's previous excursions with Slipknot. Highlights off the album: 30/30-150, Come What(ever) May, Reborn, Socio, and Zzyzx Rd. I love that the band is able to cover such a spectrum of styles, and that Corey's screaming is no longer such a huge part of the music. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely go out and get the same disc again.

Me@UGC
    The Moonspell thing... It pretty much killed this band in Portugal... And when they performed in Lisbon in 28 of June, they were so full of it... I dislike this kind of easy boring rock as much as I dislike that show off from the band. They take the easy way, and the kids like. Fuck, that's our world...
    LynchMobster
    welshman88 wrote: Telefanatic wrote: jim is the best guitarist ever!!! Grunger wrote: 3 FUCKING WORDS JOHN FUCKING PETRUCCI. ----- I WROTE: I SAY 2 WORDS ALSO: JIMMY PAGE! NO DOUBT 'THE' MAN WHO WAS BORN 2 PLAY A GUITAR AND LONG MAY HE PLAY! WOOOOO! JIMMY PAGE IS LIGHT YEARS BETTER THAN JIM OR SOME GUY CALLED 'JOHN PETRUCCI' WHO EVER THAT HE IS WHO AGREES WIV ME?
    not me. in terms of playing guitar and ability, Petrucci is better. He could play anything Page can, but Page wouldnt be able to do the same with Petruccis stuff. Page may be more original and have more emotion, but Petrucci can play better. Same goes for Hendrix too. He wouldv'e never been able to play glasgow kiss.