Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero review by Stone Sour

• Released: Aug 13, 2012
Stone Sour: Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero

This is the first single off of Stone Sour's upcoming album, "The House Of Gold And Bones Pt. 1". It is the first part of a 2 part concept album; I'm not sure what the story line of it is yet, but it seems promising so far. Corey Taylor (lead singer, lyricist, and overall creative leader of the band) will be writing a new a comic book series with the same name for Dark Horse Comics. Corey's stories and way of writing always impress me so I'm exciting for seeing how this transfers to a whole new medium, like comic books. These first two tracks have given me high hopes for the album. Stone Sour excel in the new wave of ass-kicking rock and roll. The instrumental works on these tracks is good, and they are true to the Stone Sour ways. Simple riffs and guitar solos that manage to fit the mood and create feeling while still melting your face. The drums are heavy and his fills always create great transitions. All these things come together to create a perfect backdrop to the stories told.

As good as the instrumental work on the album is, its Corey Taylor that puts Stone Sour at the forefront of new rock. Corey always tells a story with not only his lyrics but the way he sings them, and a concept album has really let him flex this muscle. The lyrics flow together so well and sound so simple that the underlying themes can sometimes be hard to see, but that's what makes his writing great.

That being said, I don't think either of these songs have the single power of "Say You'Ll Haunt Me" off of their last album, "Audio Secrecy". The radio strength of that single is what launched that album into the public eye and made it so successful. Overall, I'm impressed with these tracks, and I think the album (which drops in 10 days) will kick a-s. I don't think that it will have the commercial success of their last effort but I think that the true Stone Sour fans will appreciate it more.

SIEGE312
    Am I the only one that was reminded of Alice in Chains by Absolute Zero? That vocal line just sounded a little too close to Staley. Not a bad thing, just different. As for the songs themselves, I'm glad to see more of a return to form by these guys, it honestly sounds like the feel of their first album with the production of Audio Secrecy, which could mean great things for this album!