House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1 review by Stone Sour

• Released: Oct 22, 2012
Stone Sour: House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1

I had always thought that Stone Sour was a side project for Corey Taylor and Jim Root and only recently discovered that Slipknot had started as something they were doing on the side. Stone Sour initially formed in 1992, and performed for 5 years as well as released 2 demos. Corey Taylor left the band in 1997 to play with Slipknot, and then Jim Root didn't join Slipknot until 1999 so they weren't even founding members as Slipknot was formed in 1995. When they had some spare time in 2002 Corey and Jim decided to reform Stone Sour and brought the other original members back together. The original drummer, Joel Ekman, left the band in 2006 in order to remain closer to his son who had been diagnosed with cancer. He was replaced by Ray Mayorga, the original drummer from Soulfly. The original bassist, Shawn Economaki, left the band just earlier this year and while the bass parts in the studio were covered by Rachel Bolan from Skid Row, currently Stone Sour does not have a permanent replacement for bass. Stone Sour has served since 2002 as an outlet for Corey Taylor and Jim Root where they don't have to be completely heavy and metal from beginning to end of any album, concert, etc., but instead allows them to have everything from rock to hard rock, to alternative metal on the same album or during the same show. "House Of Gold & Bones Part 1" has 11 tracks and clocks in at just over 43 minutes, and is released by Roadrunner Records. The sound is fairly diverse, actually going between moderate rock and metal in the same song at some points. Rachel Bolan does a good job filling in on bass duties in the studio and Jim Root's guitar work is immaculate. The drums sometimes sound over-compressed to me, but just by a tad. The album is really a good example of what a hard rock album should sound like in sharp contrast to a lot of popular music that gets passed off as hard rock on the radio. The songs have hooks but they aren't over-dominated by the hooks; they just have their proper place in the song. Big choruses in several of the songs, a few heavier songs that go into the realm of metal and a few slower quieter songs mixed in. Fans of Stone Sour will not be disappointed. There will also be a companion comic released by Dark Horse comics as a storyline for the album, and an additional comic will release as well with "Part 2" of "House Of Gold & Bones" to be released in early 2013.

Corey Taylor is a talented guy there is no denying it. The only issue I have is that because he fronts Slipknot and Stone Sour and they, at times, are very similar in genre it sometimes makes it hard to tell if you're listening to Slipknot or Stone Sour. His vocal delivery is diverse throughout the album from softer sung parts, to your average rock singing to a more metal-oriented screamed vocal. Corey manages to pull off all of these styles of vocals like a champ. There are a lot of shouted choruses on the songs on "House Of Gold & Bones Part 1", and I imagine this will be really powerful in live shows with the whole crowd of fans screaming the choruses back at the band. I was satisfied by the vocal delivery on the album. As a sample of the lyrics, here are the majority of the lyrics from the song "Absolute Zero": "The bloody angle, The symmetry/ Your cheap adhesive isn't holding me/ My mouth is a gun I can shoot/ I can show you the truth/ And I don't need a reason to lie to you/ No pun intended, No punishment/ If I offended you, you needed it/ Ideas are the bombs in your mind/ A fissure in time/ If you don't have a weapon, You can't have mine/ I can bleed if I wanna bleed, I can fail if I feel the need/ This face is my last confession/ This life, it feels like a prison/ Oohoo, I'm not afraid/ I'm giving into grievances again/ Your looking at an absolute zero/ I'm not the Devil, but I won't be your hero/ The catatonic, The sacrilege/Your primadonna's are a privilege/ My god has a need to react, It's as simple as that/ It's better to settle than face the facts/ One thing that I can't stand/ Is when the minutes fight the second hand/ I'll waste a lifetime's worth/ Just to cling to one more day/ No f--king quarter, No premiums/ The world is stuck in delirium/ Man is a four letter word, It's really absurd/ Stop - The hate isn't fake it's just inferred", and the chorus just repeats a few times.

My favorite songs on the album are "Absolute Zero", "Tired", "Taciturn" and "My Name Is Allen". My least favorite song would have to be "Influence Of A Drowsy God", but it isn't bad it just takes too long to build up. I hate to see Shawn Economaki leave the band, as I like to see a band keep the original members. I feel like when Stone Sour initially re-formed in 2002 it must have been awesome for Shawn Economaki and Joel Ekman because suddenly their ex-band members returned and kind of kick started their career because of their popularity in Slipknot. Since then Stone Sour absolutely proved their value separately from Slipknot, and I hate to see original members leave. I'm curious to see who will be coming in to replace Shawn on bass, and I hope they get someone who is relatively unknown to give them a chance to prove themselves. The album is supposed to be a loose 'concept album' with the story further explained in the comics to be released. Even so, I feel like each song could survive on its own merit so if you are an album person or you like just buying your favorite songs individually, the album delivers on both fronts. Overall the album was very enjoyable.

lefty311
    Apparently the reviewer didn't realize that there's a 2nd guitarist in the band (Josh Rand).
    butterfingers30
    It drove me crazy reading through and not seeing his name even though many of the solos are split between the two. Josh is also an amazing guitarist.
    Aays
    SS just get better with every album.
    Triumphus
    They have certainly taken a big step forward after Audio Secrecy. It was still a relatively good album, definitely not their best, but this new one is excellent!
    Shinryuu9989
    This album kicks Audio Secrecy in the balls and tosses it down a chimney. Its way more advanced and mature than their first two albums too, yet maintains their intensity. Every song is worth multiple listens, though some stand out more than others. Tired in particular is a beautiful hard rock song with their best guitar solo to date, and if RU486 was snuck onto Slipknot's Iowa album, I would've been none the wiser. My favorite song though would have to be "Last of the Real" because the rage-driven confidence in that song makes me want to get up and fight crime.
    Anchr
    I've been listening to this album alone for the past three days, and yet I'm not bored by it. I'll go ahead and claim it's their best album so far, and I can't wait for part 2 to come out next year! Recommended songs: Gone Sovereign, A Rumour of Skin, Tired, RU486 and Taciturn
    sabaka151
    Just bought it and listened the whole thing... It has become a cliche, in my opinion, to say that a band "evolves" and "grows" with every album... but in this case they actually do. I am impressed with the progression of the band and with the variety on the album. Taylor is in top form. Very happy with this purchase! and a side note... Is it me or is rock music making a little bit of a comeback lately... This will probably be a unpopular opinion but I liked "All I was" solo album by Mark Tremonti... and the new/not so new stuff from Slash. I guess its just nice to have good new music... please be gentle on ripping me in the rants below lol.
    GazzaCee
    Rock isn't making a comeback, it never left. Also, Slash's new album is (in my opinion) awful.
    sabaka151
    Sorry the rest of my message did post for some reason... What I said was, I can concede you on that comment... I probably need to look into new/more bands.. and is your picture Sean Bean playing Eddard Stark?
    SG-Burchett
    Awesome album. will have to wait before i am able to call it their best album, but blows Audio Secrecy out of the water by a longshot. Gone sovereign, absolute zero, rumor of skin, travellers pt1
    SG-Burchett
    (comment continued) travellers pt2, taciturn, RU486, my name is allen are all absolutely great songs.
    jonthomas83
    Good read, thanks...look forward to listening to this later this evening! Stone Sour are one of my bands of this year as I've only discovered their music in the past few months and like you, didn't know they were around before Slipknot existed. Good stuff!
    ispeelgood
    Just an incredible album. I can't stop listening to it! Some songs (Absolute Zero, Tired, RU486, My Name Is Allen, Taciturn) are just too catchy for me to give up on!
    a drummer
    Fuck Yes, been waiting for this. Corey has one of the best heavy voices in modern music
    thebigal
    This is a good album, At first I wasn't sure but it has grown on me a lot. A big imporvment on the last release.
    axmkey
    WOW , such a great rock metal album from beginning to the end. I love this concept album just wanna know what is all about ... As a french guy i dont understand the whole meanning of the album . Hope i find the story book soon to enjoy it more and more. The voice of Corey is on the top , the guitars and solos are amazing. There is a lot of great Rock albums on the market right now , but somehow this one always stays in my car.1010for me , and for me Slipknot is too heavy , this one between ROCK/METAL. Im 35 and love all those style put in a such iconik album , hope the second one is as good .
    CliffBurton321
    Really impressed from how this cd turned out, probably my favorite album by them, definitely give it a listen!!
    slash.r0cks
    I was actually very impressed with this album. I especially loved "Tired". Reminded me a lot of a slower, more melodic "Through Glass" in a way.
    rockstaralex24
    I have to say I like it because it A LOT better than audio secrecy, however i can't say i really love it at all. Everything is really predictable from the lyrics, to the guitars, to the structure (especially for a concept album)It doesnt even feel like a concept album until taciturn... It just doesn't cut it for me. PS. if you want to hear a great modern concept album check out Taproot's "The episodes"
    sykest70
    Pretty solid album. What I don't get it is how Corey's screams sound amazing and better live with Slipknot, but sound the same from Audio Secrecy. Either way, he's great. Love how the album goes from that old rock type vibe like Tired to straight metal like RU486.
    coreytaylor15
    Looking forward to getting this album soon! Hopefully just as good as their last few albums!
    charlesshai
    hell yes, i love this album and been doing nothing but listen to this cd all day. my absolute fave album, i love corey
    link55588
    Honestly a fantastic album. I have listened through 3 times already and its without a doubt one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it. I thoroughly recomend it