House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1 review by Stone Sour

• Released: Oct 22, 2012
Stone Sour: House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1

With Stone Sour's 4th album, and part one of the "House Of Gold And Bones" story, the band has clearly reached a new level of musical skill. The songs on this album are often very good, sometimes fantastic. Jim Root and Josh Rand play off each other, with their different styles complimenting each other very well. Roy Mayorga's drums are very thick and powerful, and it is clear to see that he is influenced by John Bonham. Rachel Bolan does a great job filling in on bass as well. The sound and style on this album is quite varied. In some places, such as "A Rumor Of Skin", it can be quite raw, which often makes the song sound heavier. However, in other songs like "Tired", the sound is very smooth and streamlined. Either way, the production on this album is absolutely fantastic, and I personally love the guitar tone in Taciturn.

Corey Taylor is obviously a great vocalist. Whether you like the guy or not, that is plain to see. This album is no exception. So perhaps he might sound a bit whiny at times (like when he is singing higher), and maybe his screams aren't as powerful as they used to be. On songs like "A Rumor Of Skin" and "Influence Of A Drowsy God", he sounds nothing short of incredible. The vocal melodies he has constructed for this album mainly work very well with the music, never overshadowing the talents of the rest of the band. Lyrics wise, this album has some absolute gems. From "I don't need a conscious/To tell me how I feel" to "My god's released on a world/That's falling down" on "Influence Of A Drowsy God", Corey remains a master of the lyrics.

Overall, I think that this is a fantastic album. My personal favorite songs would have to be "Influence Of A Drowsy God", "Taciturn", "Gone Sovereign" and "RU486". The only song that I don't like is "Tired". I was really impressed by the band, especially since I was left feeling slightly let down by "Audio Secrecy", so this was a great return to form. If it was stolen or lost, I would go and buy another one. However, I would not hunt down the person who stole it, because: 1) its only an album for gods sake, and 2) I'd get my a-s kicked. For reals. But yeah, good album.

wiltdastilt72
    I was never a big stone sour fan before this album but honestly, in this time in music, have you heard an all around better album in the past 4-5 years? Like seriously, I cant think of a single album as a whole I have heard recently that even compares with HOG&B part 1 or 2..