Core review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Stone Temple Pilots: Core

Damn was basically all I could say when I first heard this album. This to me is just one of those albums you can put in and listen to from start to finish. It feels so raw and real when you listen to Weliand's vocals and the music that accompanies it. The music blended by Eric Kretz's drums Robert Deleo on bass and Dean Deleo on guitar creates one hell of a sound. Really the only problem I have (as a fellow guitarist) is that that aren't very many solos and the ones that are there are not integrated very well into the song. Nevertheless this is definately one of the best albums to come out of the 90's and in my opinion one of my top ten all time. Basically half of the CD were hits "Crackerman," "Creep," "Dead And Bloated," "Plush," "Sex Type Thing" and "Wicked Garden." It's hard to argue against that.

Weiland's skills as a front man are parallel to no one. He pretty much patterns himself after other front man like David Bowie and Iggy Pop but in the end he definately has his own style. Anyone who has ever seen him perform knows he has awesome stage charisma and he can control an audience with the best of em. His lyrics are equally good on songs such as "Creep," "Plush," "Sin" and "Where The River Goes." They seem to maintain a connection with alcohol, women, being dicked over and pride. The reason I give these lyrics a 4 instead of a 5 is because in a majority of the songs there is alot of repition. However those of you who criticize Weiland's lyrics don't know much about the man himself or what he's been through. He is a very talented song writer and that is why he is generally considered one of the best front men to come along in the past 20 years.

Overall, like I said before this is one of my favorite albums to put in and play along with, wakeboard to and just cool out with front to back. Who can argue with STP and all they have accomplished over the years. Core has to date 6 out of its 12 tracks played on the radio at any given time. I do believe this is their best album without question than following with "Purple," "No. 4," "Tiny Music" and "Shangi-La Dee Da" in that order. Finally I would like to argue with those who criticize STP for being Pearl Jam ripoffs when they came out. Anyone who listens to and appreciates music knows that the two bands have two completely different sounds and both were powerhouses of the '90s. Give them both credit where credit is due.