No. 4 Review

Stone Temple Pilots: No. 4
Released: Oct 26, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock
Even if it isn't as grandiose or sonically compelling as that effort, it's a record that consolidates all their strengths.
 9.3
 9.5
No. 4 Reviewed by: jjhand, on december 09, 2008

Sound: The Deleo brother's tone was in it's prime in the 11 songs on this CD. Dean's riffs on "Sour Girl" and "Heaven & Hotrods" were original as ever, using augmented and sustained chords to jazz it up a little. The solo on the first two tracks "Down" and "Heaven & Hotrods" were also well done. Robert always plays a fast-paced progressive bass part that especially shines in "Sour Girl". Eric Kretz plays the drums well, and keeps a good beat without being too over-the-top. Lastly, Scott Weiland's voice has good versatility from shouting on 'Down' to crooning lyrics on 'I Got You'. The hidden gem in this CD would have to be 'Glide', it's a must-listen for STP fans! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics and imagery used were really good in this album. "Sour Girl" was written as a reflection of Weiland's failed marriage, and had imagery from one of his dreams in the video. Several times the lyrics in other songs relate to his heroin addiction, in particular is "I Got You". I guess this topic has been the one big drawbacks of this amazing band, but Weiland's demons ave definitely given him many song ideas. // 8

Overall Impression: At the time, this album was not very popular, except for the 'Sour Girl' single and 'Down being on the Modern Rock stations. I believe that if more people heard some other sounds from the record it would have been received much better. It has many styles in it, from hard rock, pop, country (I Got You), and acoustic (Atlanta). STP always seems to lean toward a diverse song variety while other artists are one trick ponies, so to speak. I always liked this fact, and it always made their albums worth listening. I keep listening to mine today from time to time. // 9

No. 4 Reviewed by: ry guy 48, on february 08, 2005

Sound: This albums sound is phanominal. There are many differnt styles of music on this recording from the hard opening of the hit "Down" to the beautiful lyrics and acoustic guitar riffs featured on "Atlanta." Every song has great tone and everything really flows together. The amazing bass fills go along great with Dean's riffs. This is one of my favorite recordings of all times. // 10

Lyrics: Scott's lyrics are always pretty amazing. "Sour girl" is one of the great songs lyric wise on this cd. The song speeks of how a girl acted and lived before they started dating, while they were dating, and then after. Its just a great song. Also, the lyrics of "Atlanta" are one of my favorite songs. It is just so poetic and goes so well with the music behind it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the best STP albums out there. Core was great and had many hits, but I personally believe this is just as good. It has less hits but still, you get your moneys worth. I would buy it again if I lost it. You should do the same. // 10

Comments