Purple review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Aug 25, 1995
Stone Temple Pilots: Purple

Being a hardcore STP fan for years, I know their sound is always very good and it proves even more in this record. Released in June, the album blends the talent of the group's talent. Dean Deleo has some good solos in "Superman Silvergun", heavily distorted song "Meat Plow", and the fan favorite "Vasoline". Weiland's voice is very calm and kind of intrigues a mellow tone to some of the songs. It blends their well known hard rock sound and has some lighter mellow songs to it to like "Kitchenware and Candybars" and another fan favorite "Big Empty". Overall, this album is amazing and probably is just as good as their 1992 debut "Core". Dean Deleo did a good job with riffs. I love the riffs on "Vasoline", "Meat Plow", and "Superman Silvergun". On bass Rob Deleo (Dean's brother) is a good bass player. His thumping bass adds to the excellence of the album and is outstanding (as he was for the rest of his career).

As a guitar player, I don't really listen to lyrics anymore but overall Weiland has a good voice and the Deleo brothers kick in once in a while to add an impression. The more you listen to the songs, the more you will like the CD and Weiland's underrated singing talent. When I first listened to the disc I thought it was good. But when I listened to it with more attention to the other songs than their hits, I was impressed. The songs "Meat Plow", "Superman Silvergun", and "Kitchenware and Candybars" have catchy lyrics. I had those 3 songs stuck in my head for a long time at least a month, no lie. Good work on the lyrics.

In my honest opinion, this is a great album and can be one of the better albums of the 1990's. There is nothing horrible about this album, its pretty good. Dean's guitar work is flat out amazing (and always has been) and Weiland's change of voices in the songs matchs the greatness of this album. The only thing I really don't like on the album is "Interstate Love Song" only because it got overplayed and I got very sick of it. From the beginning it was great but the radio stations overplayed it and now when its on I need to change the radio station. Other than the hits "Vasoline", "Big Empty" and "Interstate Love song", I'm very appreciative of the songs "Meat Plow", "Superman Silvergun", "Kitchenware and Candybar", and "Unglued". "Unglued" is a good song towards the end and wakes you up with the loud riff and then all of a sudden you come to a slow, mellow and melancholy tone in "Kitchenware and Candybars". If I lost this CD my music collection wouldn't be complete. It is a killer CD and not many in my opinion match the talent from the Californians.