Purple review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Aug 25, 1995
Stone Temple Pilots: Purple

The band plays alternative rock/grunge. But this album, as usual with STP, has some quiter songs tucked in ('Interstate Love Song', 'Pretty Penny', 'Big Empty'). Scott Weilands voice is grungey and growling, but can be beautiful on some of the calmer songs. Dean DeLeo is one of the most underrated guitarists in my opinion, and has some great solos here ('Vasoline', 'Silvergun Superman'). Dean's brother, Robert's bass is fantastic, and most of the songs were written by him. Eric Kretz's drums are thumping and are probably their best on 'Army Ants'.

Scott Weiland has an excellent voice, and some good lyrics. With R. DeLeo doing backing vocals alot of the time. The songs 'Vasoline', 'Meat Plow' and 'Kitchenware and Candybars' have quite catchy lyrics. Pretty average lyrics, but some quite good ones.

This is a great album, that really defines STP's sound. Some of my favourite songs are 'Vasoline', 'Big Empty' and 'Meat Plow'. If this album was stolen from me, I would kick the shit out of thief, and then buy a whole security system for it, so noone nicked it again. Overall it is not the best album ever made but pretty damn good.