Purple review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Aug 25, 1995
Stone Temple Pilots: Purple

STP's sound on their second album "Purple" is grungey most of the time and almost always has a great hook, which means you get to sing it in your mind for a month. When their not grungy their pop sensabilities shine, and I hate to say the genre "Pop" and associate it with one of the greatest alternative Rock bands of the 90's and the 21st century. But really if you look(and listen) "Core" was pure Hard Rock and it was relentless for the most part(Creep and a few quiet little tunes) and then comes "purple" with tunes such as "Interstate Love Song", "Still Remains" and a few others that are sort of toned down grunge compared to Core of course. I realise they won't and can't remake a Core sounding album and every band must progress and purple continues that progress. Scott's voice has shifted to a more softer sound here and there while Dean's guitars while more melodic than core still, again, provide that big crunch. Robert's bass punches and pops like thunder and Eric's drumming is more controlled and excellent.

Any of the lyrics Scott writes are bound to possibly confuse or to re-say something in a different way of saying it, if you get what I mean. Everyone who reviewed "Purple" gave the lyrics a low rating, but in reality would these songs and the album work very well without them? Obviously the answer is no, and Scott has written a set of deeper meaning lyrics and examples of this would be "Interstate Love Song","Big Empty","Loungefly", and "Still Remains".

Overall "Purple" is one hell of an album. As I said before STP continued to progress and then they whent a little to far (Tiny Tunes... ) but that's another review alltogether. This record is a classic and always will be a classic with it's robust yet melodic hard rock. With STP having reunited in 2008, I'm sure every STP fan and hoping for an album that could possibly beat out "No. 4" for their third best album. Perfect for relaxing to and for myself perfect for christmas time for personal reasons. It's a one of a kind grunge record and nothing will top that.

balexbrown
    Listen to it all the way through; try to find a bad song. This is a classic album.