Thank You review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
Stone Temple Pilots: Thank You

Stone Temple Pilots were a band that really left their mark on the rock world since their debut in 1992. Of their 5 studio albums, one of them reached no.1 whilst the other four all managed to reach top ten status. In addition to selling over seventeen million albums worldwide, they have released 14 singles and 6 of them were no. 1's and can still be heard on the radio today. With such a legacy, it's only fair that the band release a "Greatest Hits" compilation before they split and eventually form their new bands, and what a compilation "Thank You" is, all 14 of their singles are here (including the previously unreleased "All In The Suit That You Wear"), remastered so they sound even better then before, with a bonus acoustic version of "Plush", a Grammy-winning song. Fans of STP will love "Thank You" as it has all the band's signature songs all on one CD, from hard rock songs such as "Down" and "Sex Type Thing" to softer numbers such as "Creep" and "Sour Girl" plus fan favourites such as "Interstate Love Song" and "Big Bang Baby. The variety on this record is as stunning as it's consistency, from Scott's excellent vocals to Dean's crushing riffs and solos, or from Robert's thumping bass-lines to Eric's brilliant drumming, the sound is an absolute treat fo anyone, fan of STP or not.

STP is known for it's weird lyrics, and I'm not much of an interpreteur but from what I can hear and discern, it's pretty much good lyrics set aginst some great music, they seem to cover a lot of stuff so if you think STP lyrics is all just sex and booze then there are some songs here which will make you see different. Scott's voice is not excactly the melodic "choir-girl" voice you might expect from great singers but the small "rough" elements in his voice absolutely fits STP's hard-rock nature, but when the time comes for softer songs such as "Sour Girl", you'd be surprised at how much his voice can adapt to the mood by turning it silky soft.

This record comes in two versions, a CD-only version and a CD/DVD version, definitely look to buy the CD/DVD version as the extra DVD contains approximately 3.5 hrs of content, which together with the CD will add up to 5hrs of music. My advice is to buy this if you don't already have it, and if you lose it you should make it your responsibility to replace it. Being a fan of STP, I have a number of their songs on my computer and I also own "Core", STP's terrific debut album. All in all this is one stunning master-piece of music anyone can get into, if you're a metal-head, this record may be a little too "light" for you but it's definitely a nice break for me when I turn off the beautiful but screeching sound of metal-titans Pantera. On the other hand, if you're a "pop" person, this record has a number of stand-outs such as "Lady Picture Show" which certainly won't dissapoint. And basically for any fan of rock n roll or STP, this uncomprimising, 100% non-filler record will be a guaranteed hit for you.

kfong03
    in my review i made quite a small mistake so if anyone is reading it i apologise, i meant that by the end of their carerr stp has sold over 47 million records worldwide, not 17 million lol