artist: Stone Temple Pilots date: 01/05/2008 category: compact discs
Stone Temple Pilots: Thank You
Release Date: Nov 11, 2003
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
But, as the years pass, the turmoil gradually fades away, and the music stands at center stage, and it's best heard on Thank You, a 14-track collection of the group's hits.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.9
 9.7
Thank You Reviewed by: Riitzz, on september 24, 2007

Sound: STP's sound is unique, talented and versatile, ranging from grunge, rock, alternative rock etc. This is a compilation of some of most of STPs most popular songs, but some people argue that some deserving songs were left out i.e. "Atlanta". This Albumn also includes bonus live tracks: "Long Way Home" & "Plush". The feel of this albumn has a more contemporary feel than their other albumns, so there's a bit of the retro side of STP left out. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland is the most amazing singer, and in this albumn demonstrates years of inovation, change and versatility with STP. His lyrics are very poetic and has deep imagery and meaning so what if I feel warm and fuzzy when I'm listening. His voive and his lyrical melody goes so well with the music. I love listenin to him. // 10

Overall Impression: What's great about STP compared to other bands? It's their unique, beautifull sound, versatility and their uncanny ability to personally connect with fans through poetic lyrics. Most bands have very few "hit" songs that give them recognition, but STP has so many great tracks it's hard to choose witch ones better. I can say I love "Big Emtpty" but I can't say it's my fav cause I love the other ones too! I've given away my Thank You album to a friend but yeah I'll buy it again because it's the albumn I instantly fell in love with. // 10

Thank You Reviewed by: kfong03, on january 05, 2008

Sound: Stone Temple Pilots were a band that really left their mark on the rock world since their debut in 1992. Of their 5 studio albums, one of them reached no.1 whilst the other four all managed to reach top ten status. In addition to selling over seventeen million albums worldwide, they have released 14 singles and 6 of them were no. 1's and can still be heard on the radio today. With such a legacy, it's only fair that the band release a "Greatest Hits" compilation before they split and eventually form their new bands, and what a compilation "Thank You" is, all 14 of their singles are here (including the previously unreleased "All In The Suit That You Wear"), remastered so they sound even better then before, with a bonus acoustic version of "Plush", a Grammy-winning song. Fans of STP will love "Thank You" as it has all the band's signature songs all on one CD, from hard rock songs such as "Down" and "Sex Type Thing" to softer numbers such as "Creep" and "Sour Girl" plus fan favourites such as "Interstate Love Song" and "Big Bang Baby. The variety on this record is as stunning as it's consistency, from Scott's excellent vocals to Dean's crushing riffs and solos, or from Robert's thumping bass-lines to Eric's brilliant drumming, the sound is an absolute treat fo anyone, fan of STP or not. // 9

Lyrics: STP is known for it's weird lyrics, and I'm not much of an interpreteur but from what I can hear and discern, it's pretty much good lyrics set aginst some great music, they seem to cover a lot of stuff so if you think STP lyrics is all just sex and booze then there are some songs here which will make you see different. Scott's voice is not excactly the melodic "choir-girl" voice you might expect from great singers but the small "rough" elements in his voice absolutely fits STP's hard-rock nature, but when the time comes for softer songs such as "Sour Girl", you'd be surprised at how much his voice can adapt to the mood by turning it silky soft. // 9

Overall Impression: This record comes in two versions, a CD-only version and a CD/DVD version, definitely look to buy the CD/DVD version as the extra DVD contains approximately 3.5 hrs of content, which together with the CD will add up to 5hrs of music. My advice is to buy this if you don't already have it, and if you lose it you should make it your responsibility to replace it. Being a fan of STP, I have a number of their songs on my computer and I also own "Core", STP's terrific debut album. All in all this is one stunning master-piece of music anyone can get into, if you're a metal-head, this record may be a little too "light" for you but it's definitely a nice break for me when I turn off the beautiful but screeching sound of metal-titans Pantera. On the other hand, if you're a "pop" person, this record has a number of stand-outs such as "Lady Picture Show" which certainly won't dissapoint. And basically for any fan of rock n roll or STP, this uncomprimising, 100% non-filler record will be a guaranteed hit for you. // 10

Comments