Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop review by Stone Temple Pilots

• Released: Mar 26, 1996
Stone Temple Pilots: Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop

Even if critics has said this wasn't STP's best album, well most likely they are the most ignorant person in the world. Everybody knows they spend a hell of a lot of time on their songs and albums. They were perfectionists. Scott has a very calm voice throughout the whole album on just about every song. Then there's the eerie part. I believe there's some sort of Beatles influence in STP's overall sound and on this album. As much as I and other STP hardcores love "Lady Picture Show", just watching the video and listening to the guitar work, it's almost exactly like something the Beatles would of put out. Dean also has a great solo in "Lady Picture Show" and could be the best one on the album with the solo on the ever popular song "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart". STP's most underrated song in their decade of fame appears on this CD. "Big Bang Baby" is a very cool song and its my all time favorite STP song. It has a mix of great guitar work by Dean, thumping mellow bass of Rob and the light-hearted singing of Scott. Eric Kretz's drumming in the song is outsanding and the riff is ever so cool. "Seven Caged Tigers" is another great song STP has made. It is a very very tough song to play and I know. As much as I have and still do listen to the song, you can hear how many times and how many chord and riffs Dean switches and its so FAST. The solo is killer in the song and the bass from Rob ads the somber mood the song provides. "Pop's Love Suicide" is a cover of an older song (I forget the name and artist) and the cover of "Dancing Days" is absolutely fantastic. Screw the critics, this album is perfect!

Scott and company put up some cool lyrics on this CD. I could care less what Scott is singing about here, and I don't know what the hell he's talking about anyways. Those are the most catchy lyrics I have heard in my lifetime. Then theres the sad, mellow hit song "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart" which talks about Weiland's troubled life and addiction of drugs and alcohol. "Lady Picture Show" also tells a story about a woman Scott must of liked. The album features songs for everybody with lyrics about anyone and anything. The lyrics are very creative, great friggin' job.

This has to be one of the most underrated and most mis-understood albums of all time. It really isn't as bad as many people and critics made it out to be. Just because it didn't sell as much as "Core" and "Purple" doesn't make it a horrible CD. It has good guitar work, very good solos, quality lyrics and the lyrics tell good stories. Nothing is negative about this album, it might be one of the most well-rounded albums I have heard. "Seven Caged Tigers", "Big Bang Baby", and "Lady Picture Show" are the big name songs on here. They are excellent well thought out and performed songs and it's a shame STP didnt get enough credit for the record especially for songs like "Seven Caged Tigers". Yet it's funny how some of the songs off this record ended up on their greatest hits "Thank you". If I lost this CD I would probably go bezerk. Another well completed record with everyone's talent heard on it.

pearlJam_31490
    haha me and my friend were talking a couple days ago about how good of a song Lady Picture show is and then i said yea to bad the album sucks compared to purple and core though. Man how wrong i was! this album rocks
    QuantumMechanix
    I have this album (i think its this one) but there are 12 tracks on it. It has Lady Picture Show and Adhesive and Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart and all them but I'm trying to figure out what the 12th song is called. If anyone knows message me. thanks