In The Wake Of Determination review by Story of the Year

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Story of the Year: In The Wake Of Determination

When I first heard SOTY was coming out with a new cd, I was quite excited. I couldn't wait. When I got it I realized like many of you that it is heavy. More metal meets punk. Maybe I wouldn't say that is better than Page Avenue but, they still did some justice to the cd. "Take Me Back" has to be one of the songs that caught my attention. It has a great intro. The tremolo really gets in into gear. It is great. "Sleep" one of the more mellow songs is also my favorite. What caught my attention is the way this songs takes you to this kinda "drive all night" feeling. I love it! So far I'd say it is a good album but Page Avenue still stands on top of my list.

The lyrics in this album are very different from their previous album. The first album was more of an "I hate life" type of lyrics. Very negative. But this album throws an F-you punch. It is an album about getting together and just living life to the fullest and not letting anybody put us down. The lyrics do fit the music quite well. The singer has more of a graspier voice. More mature and more screaming! He really gets you in the mood of the song. Great vocals in my opinion. Not the best, but good enough.

I think in my opinion, this album kinda reminds me of Sum 41 "Does This Look Infected" album. They went from poppy punk to more metal. Same direction as SOTY. Also vocally-wise. More graspier and more screaming. All the songs are impressive but there are some that really doesn't get your attention. Which, of course, I skip. The hidden track is soft and it is really good. Overall, I really liked this album. I'm sure I'll come to love it more as time progresses. If stolen or lost, I would totally go and buy it again. No doubt. I really reccommend this CD, but don't expect another "Page Avenue." But I'm sure you'll adapt to the new sound.