In The Wake Of Determination review by Story of the Year

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Story of the Year: In The Wake Of Determination

The sound is very good. The only thing I don't like about it is they try to combine hard rock metal (the real hard head bang type) with punk drum beats. It sounds good after you get used to it, but at first, it sounds cheesy. The guitar solos are amazing, though, and more than thoroughly make up for the mix of drums and style. The actual guitar playing is also very amazing. They use unique time signatures in some songs. Specifically "Is This My Fate, He Asked Them," in the last half of the song, they use 5/4 time, which isn't all that frequently used. I enjoy this CD a lot.

The lyrics are a bit on the shaky side in my opinion. They are very insecure-sounding. I think they are well done and fit the music perfectly, but they don't quite make sense all the time. Most of the lyrics are unique, however; I haven't heard much music like this before.

This is a very good album, and I recommend it whether you like Story Of The Year, becuase they have definitly matured since their last album. It's a good buy and certainly worth it. One downside is that there aren't enough songs on it! If you were to compare this album to, say, the rest of the emo/punk genre, I'd say they probably rate in the top 20 bands (in my opinion).