In The Wake Of Determination review by Story of the Year

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Story of the Year: In The Wake Of Determination

SOTY have grown up on this album. The guitars are tighter and, due to this, they manage to cover several areas which by all means a good thing but SOTY are asking all of us a question, Are we ready for their new sound? I'll leave that question open but I think we are. Some of the songs such as "We Don't Care Anymore" and "Our Time is Now" have that sound that makes you want to jump around, like old SOTY stuff does which is always good. SOTY will always have that sound to overcome with whatever album they bring out, it will be a tough feat though.

Sadly, with most SOTY songs, the lyrics are slightly dissapointing. This has been the case for a good few of their songs. Don't get me wrong, the lyrics blend in with the music very well and you can listen to them fairly easy. The odd scream and random swearing every now and again adds to the effect also, well they are emo lyrics, what did you expect?

To start off any album with a song called "We Don't Care Anymore" shows you what SOTY are all about now. They're here to play their music and that's that. It's a shame that this album isn't as good as Page Avenue as the guitarists have improved and make the whole thing good to listen to but, for me, Page Avenue has that factor where you can relate to the songs and enjoy them because of this fact at live shows and at home with the CD playing.