In The Wake Of Determination review by Story of the Year

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Story of the Year: In The Wake Of Determination

Much different than their first album 'Page Avenue', more screaming, in fact they scream on every track except the hidden track 'A Silent Murder' and 'Wake Up The Voiceless'. The band wanted to give this record a live sound and give fans a better taste of what one of their concerts is like and succeeded in doing so. The guitars are way better, every song has at least one part that either I can't play consistently or can't play at all, lead guitarist Ryan Phillips on 'Five Against The World' plays a solo then as the singing resumes he just keeps going with an amazing display of talent. Another thing I really liked on this album was the gang vocals, if you don't like gang vocals though, you won't like this album. I heard that part and knew I was gonna love this CD.

These lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. It opens up with a track called 'We Don't Care Anymore' which is about just playing music and not worrying about what people think or compromising yourself to fit the mold of today's music, that is the message of this album. Dan's vocals are amazing, he has the uncanny ability to go straight from singing to screaming back to singing pretty much seamlessly. I have but one problem wtih the lyrics, language. Even if you don't have a problem with language the times when language is used aren't times when it is really necessary. Awesome lyrics nonetheless.

The lyrics on this album are different from any other artists lyrics, they are about living life to the fullest and enjoying what you do, not about being heartbroken and slitting your wrists and stuff. The best songs are 'Our Time Is Now', 'Taste The Poison' and 'Meathead'. There are many great parts about this album, the best being the message, these guys are here to play music not impress MTV with emo lyrics and poppy sounds, and radio hits that compromise what a band actually sounds like to make people like them. If this CD were lost or stolen I would buy it again in a heartbeat, this is the best album I own and as critical as I can be there is not much to criticize on this album.

ordinary_story
    thats it just 2 comments.....cmon people....this band is awesum.....2 great albums released..luv these guys... keep rockin
    used123
    great album, a move back to how they were before they were story of the year, if anyone remembers that. anyway, way better than page avenue if you ask me.
    lmao
    haha i was a terrible writer three years ago. i contradict myself at least 3 times. but ya i would like to go ahead and reverse my opinion on this one.