Page Avenue review by Story of the Year

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Story of the Year: Page Avenue

The album is all over the place. But thats what makes Story Of The Year easy to listen to and enjoyable. Songs like And The Hero Will Drown and Burning Years represent Soty's more hardcore/emocore styles with the intense screaming. Songs like Page Avenue and Until The Day I Die are rather catchy while the band also incorporates Acoustic through Anthem Of Our dying Day and Sidewalks. Definatly a familiar style, but it doenst get old, its definatly a great piece of work. its worth the $13.99.

Well, the band definatly has issues. Or maybe they just like to appear that way. like any good emo band, or at least a posing emo band, the lyrics are somewhat depressing. In this case, they mostly refer to death, ways of dying, reason for it and other various related topics. But most of the lyrics refer to either should I do it? or how can I stop it. So over all a very positively written CD with some depressing or concerning edge to it. Dan has an excellent voice, he can scream like Davey from AFI or george from Alexisonfire, but its alot easier to understand and hear, which makes his voice when he screams much more appealing. He doenst scream alot in a row, the opening song on the album "And The Hero Will Drown" is the most consistantly screamed song on the album. But usually he just incorporates the screams into various parts such as Prechorus' or Bridges. Basically, your not going to get alot of screaming, but your going to get some. This will satisfy the hardcore listeners. On the other end of things, Dan can sing like any other emocore frontman. Perhaps his voice is a bit more original than Incubus front man brendan, god I shouldnt even compare the 2, I hate incubus. But This is more like the Used Bert McCraken. Definatly a great buy if your into the used.

Well, personally, this is one of the better buys I've made. Next to Alexisonfire's debut album and the used debut, this album is a well done emocore piece of work. Easy to listen to play to stop without skipping. Generally, the songs sound different, but they have the same appeal to the listener, making it simple. I love the singing, the lyrics and the guitar playing. Very catchy. I would highly recommend Soty's debut "Page Avenue" for the emocore listeners. If you like the used, Billy Talent or Afi, you'll love story of the year.