Alien review by Strapping Young Lad

• Released: Mar 22, 2005
Strapping Young Lad: Alien

This has to be the heaviest album I own, and the best. The guitar and drums in this record are some seriously heavy shit, there are not many solos, however the band more than make up for this with their rythm abilities. I had never heard anything quite like this band before, and never will either, because they are so unique.

The lyrics in the record are very good, Devin suffers from bipolar disorder (Manic Depession), and apparently, during the writing process, he stopped taking his medication and used his feelings at the time to write some of this record. This adds even more aggression to the record. Devin's skill as a singer is comparable to none, the dude is a god. He can pull off a terrifying death metal growl, a skin piercing black metal shriek and clean singing too, which adds to the versatility of the music.

This was the first SYL album I came to own, and I was immediatly hooked, I really have no idea why these guys aint up there with slayer and more "known" bands. SYL are my joint favorite band (alongside Opeth), and this album will stay in my CD player and memory for quite some time.

Funyun
    this album didn't disappoint me!!! and SYL isn't PUNK METAL!!!!! what the hell they're EXTREME METAL NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PUNK METAL!!!!! best album ever!!
    jburde
    Gene Hoglan is God behind the drumkit. He should be up there with Keith Moon and Neil Peart imo.