Alien Review

Strapping Young Lad: Alien
Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
Label: Century Media
Genres: Alternative Metal, Punk Metal
Alien is a reliably varied and strange outing for Strapping Young Lad, but its uniquely violent methods may leave fans of the group's kookier sides just a little disappointed.
 Lyrics: 9.5
Alien Reviewed by: read2906, on july 04, 2006

Sound: I have only one thing to say: holy crap. Never have I heard such an intense, over the top, psychotic yet so highly entertaining album. This is the first Devin Townsend project I've heard, and let me tell you, it is quickly becoming a staple in my car stereo! Perfect for the odd bout of road rage. In the making-of DVD, Devin states that he wants this album to be the ultimate middle finger statement, and he certainly has made this apparent. The sound of this album is massive in scope. It's like all the air has been sucked out of the mix and every track magnified to the nth degree. For best reference, check out the programmed beats dropped in 'Shitstorm'. They momentarily drown out the rest of the sound (guitars, vox, bass, drums, choir, keys) and make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Even Devin's vocal assault when switching from psychotic ramblings to clean crooning is intense intense intense. // 10

Lyrics: Apparently Devin went off his bipolar disorder medication to write this album, and nowhere is this more apparent than the lyrics. Mostly just ramblings about society and general ills, Devin takes these everyday notions and turns them into dark twisted nightmares. Even songs about having babies ('Possesions') or breakups ('We Ride') are infused with a sense of pure anger and hatred. This is mainly channeled through Devin's possesed vocal attack and ability, as he manages clean singing, evil growls and near-vertigo inducing screams (check out his scream of "F--k you!" in 'Shitstorm'). Bland: never. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, in terms of pure intensity, blows pretty much any death/black/thrash/gore album out of the water. If you want highlights, check out 'Shitstorm', 'We Ride' and 'Skeksis'. Actually, just get it and listen to it from go to whoa. It will blow your mind. Everything about this album is perfection, from the production job to the drum beats to the insane vocals. // 10

Alien Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2006

Sound: This has to be the heaviest album I own, and the best. The guitar and drums in this record are some seriously heavy shit, there are not many solos, however the band more than make up for this with their rythm abilities. I had never heard anything quite like this band before, and never will either, because they are so unique. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the record are very good, Devin suffers from bipolar disorder (Manic Depession), and apparently, during the writing process, he stopped taking his medication and used his feelings at the time to write some of this record. This adds even more aggression to the record. Devin's skill as a singer is comparable to none, the dude is a god. He can pull off a terrifying death metal growl, a skin piercing black metal shriek and clean singing too, which adds to the versatility of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first SYL album I came to own, and I was immediatly hooked, I really have no idea why these guys aint up there with slayer and more "known" bands. SYL are my joint favorite band (alongside Opeth), and this album will stay in my CD player and memory for quite some time. // 10

Comments