Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing review by Strapping Young Lad

• Released: Apr 4, 1995
Strapping Young Lad: Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing

I like how the sound is "Kill 'Em All" start for the band with the liquid metal feeling you get when you listen to it. The sound may not be perfect, but still could be perfect at the same time. "S.Y.L" is possibly how old people would see metal. They make it seem so bipolar sounding. You could tell by "Satans Ice Cream Truck" how you are in such a happy kiddie wanting ice cream, then you being brutally murdered, or something like that, all of the sudden. What makes the sound so different from other artists is that they go from something that might sound so beautiful that you just want to hear over and over, into something more disturbing and dark and is a great tactic I have learned thanks to this band.

The lyrics are some of the most vile and angry things I've every heard in my life!!! I can only imagine the stress that Devin Townsend went through in "S.Y.L" when he was raped. Makes you think about how horrifying life is. "In the Rainy Season" was just death-defying, the songs about letting go of something that you want that tortures you (bad habbits) and gives me confidence, it's possibly the biggest F.U. song they have! How can you forget the bonus song, "Satans Ice Cream Truck". You could see how Devin's dark sense of humor was. It's enjoyable and fun to listen to. Devin is just the best kind of singer that the world could offer. I don't know if his bipolar issue helped him, but if it did, thank god! I can relieve stress now!

It's a great way to get started as a Thrash/Speed Metal band. The sound is original, the lyrics are some of the most vile and angry things I've every heard, and it's got so much energy in it. This seems different from their other albums because the later songs like "Oh my F*cking God" and "Sh*tstorm" aren't much speed compared the songs like "S.Y.L", "In the Rainy Season" or "Happy Camper". Bonus tracks like "Monday", "Satans Ice Cream Truck" and "Exciter"(Judas Priest cover) are genius. This is better than any artist that I've heard because I don't even think that even Slayer or Lamb of God could top this hardcore action!

webbtje
    This review is full of inaccuracies and 'facts' which I can only assume you have made up (Devin raped? What?). It makes no attempt to describe the sound of the album, has no head nor tail, and is basically as unhelpful as it gets. By the way, Dev himself has said this album is crap. Want to rethink that 10? You yourself: "The sound may not be perfect..." You then go and give the sound a perfect 10 rating. I don't understand. Which is true?
    postmortem2006
    Good job this person isn't on UG, or he'd be flamed and trolled within an inch of his life. Possibly one of the worst reviews I've read on here without it simply being "Yeah its awesome I like the guitars its brutal and cool". Calling SYL a thrash/death metal band is ridiculous and the reviewer in question obviously has no idea what he/she is on about. Sorry to bitch, but try harder next time.
    SYLfanforever!!
    I do admit I suck at reviews, but I just wanted to see this CD included in Strapping Young Lad Reviews. Sorry, but at least come up with a review better than mine so you can be more satasfied. I'm just absessed with this band and can't deny them.
    VortexOfSouls
    webbtje wrote: By the way, Dev himself has said this album is crap. Want to rethink that 10? You yourself: "The sound may not be perfect..." You then go and give the sound a perfect 10 rating. I don't understand. Which is true?
    Devin thought it was a crap album? Pretty good for a crap album. As for the review, I don't even know where to start.