The New Black review by Strapping Young Lad

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Strapping Young Lad: The New Black

Well, as in their previous albums, SYL give a true metal sound, but manage to make it different than most metal out there. They keep the pace fast, as usual, in songs like "F--ker", "You Suck", and "The New Black." But in this CD, they show that they aren't all heavy with no substance as they reveal a softer side in songs like "Polyphony", and "Almost Again."

Devin Townsend has never been just a "Growler" in any of his work with SYL or his solo career, and it is no different here. The main difference is the shift from mostly growling, to mostly singing. Ex.: in the song "Polyphony" he doesn't growl at all, but in the opening tracks "Decimator" and "Almost Again" his haunting singing voice fits perfectly with the music playing behind him, and then he breaks down and screams his lungs out in the chorus. The lyrics are different than most metal today, but I have been able to connect the message in each song to something going on in my life, and it has helped me get over faster. And some of the lyrics are just funny, like the song "You Suck."

This, being SYL's last album with Devin, is a must have for any SYL fan, or any metal fan at that, not becaause it is their last, but because it gives what it promises:a hard-hitting metal explosion that anyone can relate to. My personal favorites that I connected to the most were "Almost Again", "You Suck", "F--ker" and "Decimator", but all the songs can and probably will get stuck in your head if you buy this album. I love that it is everything you would expect from SYL and more! There is nothing to hate about it! Trust me, if I lost or had this CD stolen, my first priority would be to buy a new copy.

MHanky
    great album, except for ****er and monument. not too crazy about that. and its likely that SYL are just taking a break. Dev was going through days of interviews at the time he said that. Plus he's bipolar. Gene Hoglan said they were talking about how the new cd would be a day after this interview, calming the fears of the fans. hiatus, yes, but the end? hope not
    Kronan
    SYL are metal GODS. I love them, bought this 2 ddays after it came out I believe. Wrong Side, Monument, Decimator, and You Suck are great songs. Pretty much the first 5 songs lol.
    AsianPirate
    just saw them at ozzfest- they were pretty good... but goddamnit he is an ugly ****
    riff_randle
    They mopped the floor with those hardcore and nu-metal f**s at ozzfest. This album is much better than most of the bologna metal coming out today, but it's not great.
    Sleepwalker 666
    This is ther best album so far. The solos are awesome but I can't find or figure out the tabs to Wrong Side. If anyone knows help me out.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    postmortem2006
    Its absolutely terrible that this had to be SYL's last record, but jesus... what a way to go out.
    DemonicTurtle66
    [x]Huffy[x] wrote: Fossilized Love wrote: This isn't Devin's last album with SYL, he's taking a break from touring and shit =/SYL have officially broken up. And Devin has stated that he will never tour again, with any band,or solo.
    That might have been true in 2008, but he is touring now. Thank god.