Destiny Review

Stratovarius: Destiny
Released: Jul 14, 1998
Genre: Power Metal, Neo-Classical Metal
Label: Noise
Destiny is an album by the Finnish power metal band Stratovarius. It is one of the band's most progressive albums.
 7.8
 7.3
 8.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Destiny Reviewed by: aenimafist, on december 24, 2008

Sound: The kings of power metal (Helloween being the gods), Stratovarius make a grand follow-up to their smash album Visions with Destiny. Despite having a powerful opening track and plenty of rise and fall throughout the record, Stratovarius have marked a lower point in their career. Destiny was concieved during the pest years of the bands career but isn't really a high point. A few of the songs are pretty good like No Turning Back, Anthem of the World and Save Our Souls but some songs like Years Go By and Playing with fire left me wondering what the band was trying to do. // 7

Lyrics: There were not as many lyrics on this album as there usually are on the average Stratovarius release. A lot of the songs just went verse verse chorus solo chorus which is sort of bland but that is what you would want for songs like Years Go By. That song has awkward vocals and is not one of the band's better songs. It just seems to drag on. Antem of the World may have the best lyrics on the whole album even though the song itself isn't the best way to end an album. TK's best performance though is on Destiny because the lyrical flow matches the instrument well and No Turning Back is definately one of the band's best performances on the record. Other than some of the quirky ballads on Destiny, vocally the album holds it's own but just by a thread. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the seventh Stratovarius CD I bought and at that point I had gotten a good feel for what the band was all about. This certainly isn't it. I know the band can write better riffs than what is presented on this album. I have the annoying playing with fire riff stuck in my head right now and it is bothering the crap out of me. Destiny is not one of the band's better albums because there are definately better riffs and vocal melodies from the band out there. The best songs are S.O.S., No Turning Back, and Destiny. Although 4000 Rainy Nights isn't too bad for a ballad but ballads like A Drop In The Ocean are much better. So far Destiny is at the bottom of my seven album Stratovarius list but that doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. // 7

Comments