Intermission review by Stratovarius

• Released: Jun 26, 2001
Stratovarius: Intermission

This CD was released primarily to distribute to the Americas material that was only previously available in Japan. I must say that the best "previously unavailable" material I have ever heard is right here. Will My Soul Ever Rest In Peace (WMSERIP) is now one of my favorite songs by this band and Kotipelto puts in his best performance on this track. The Curtains Are Falling is my second favorite off of this album because it has a much more traditional sound to it. A lot of this material was written by non-Tolkki band members and I think that stuff deserves to be on other records. The covers are nice but I hate Judas Priest.

There are some really contemplative lyrics brought forth on this compilation. Such is true in the first few tracks in which Kotipelto is at his peak. I liked the Why Are We Here lyrics a lot and I wish Jens' material would get onto more records because he seems to be very well read. Either way Kotipelto is hands down the best singer in power metal ever and certainly din't back down on his performance here.

Like I said earlier this is the best unreleased in the states material there ever was from any band. I have heard bonus Opeth tracks and stuff from other bands but Intermission wins out over all. I can't give it a perfect ten because I wouldn't really classify it as an album but sure deserves a nine. The best songs are WMSERIP, Why Are We Here, and The Curtains Are Falling. Another nice touch about this is in the booklet each band member writes about his experience in the band so far which is pertty cool of the guys. Jens wrote a ton.