Straylight Run review by Straylight Run

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Straylight Run: Straylight Run

In my personal opinion, this collection of piano driven rock make up the most original music I have heard in a long time considering the plague of emo band clones that have spread across the nation. John Nolan a familiar name from the rock/emo/screamo heavy weight known as Taking Back Sunday leads Straylight Run with driving and sometimes blazing vocals, smooth guitar riffs, and some piano, backed by Shaun Cooper (also from Taking Back Sunday) on bass, Will Thomas Noon (ex-Breaking Pangaea drummer)on drums and Michelle Nolan (John's Sister) playing piano, some guitar, and vocals.

The lyrics for this album are unique and original because the whole point of the song is not just explained in one line. It takes all the lyrics to sum up a vision of what Nolan is trying to say in his songs. You just really have to read the lyrics and think you'll get the message. I'm not saying they are complicated, their simple but in a way it tells a story and paints a picture in your head. Nolan is talking about his days with Taking Back Sunday and how the songs became so routine like he has to do it over and over again until everyone's happy. But then he adds "the focus on the friends and the feelings that made those stupid songs all worth singing" meaning even though he got bored of it he would do it for the fans and friends and the feelings he had for the lyrics.

My overall impression of this album is a solid 5 out of 5. Although some fans might differ because of how the album is all cleaned up compared to the demo versions of some of the songs. I really think that anybody who loves the emo genre should go out and buy this rarity. I have already bought myself 3 copies including the one I listen to. What I love so much about this album is that it has such original taste to it. It's not just another rip off of Dashboard Confessional or Taking Back Sunday. It's better than that stuff.