Straylight Run review by Straylight Run

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Straylight Run: Straylight Run

The sound of Straylight Run is unlike anything I have heard recently. The only band that is even close would be Dashboard Confessional, but I must say that Straylight Run takes it a step further. When I first heard that John had left TBS, I was a little devastated, because he was what I thought made TBS great, but then I heard of his new band and had to buy the cd, even though I had not heard it. It was not at all what I had expected, but that being said, it totally exceeded my expectations. It is nothing close to TBS, but instead has a more mellow sound. Every song has piano, and only a few have "distortion". Their sound is very different, but it is also very innovative and good.

Lyrics are pretty much typical of the emo genre, pretty much about John's personal experiences and what not. But absent from this album is the songs having to deal with getting dumped. That has really become the main topic of emo today, and it's getting kind of boring. Straylight Run strays from that topic, and it really makes them quite interesting, something not seen often today.

This band doesn't hardly compare to any other band, but if I did have to make a comparison, it would be Dashboard, but that is only because dashboard has a song with a piano in it, other than that, they are in a league of their own. Awesome cd, there are songs for every mood you have. Every song on the album is good. I must warn that this is nothing like TBS, so if you were expecting that, then you may not want to buy this album, but I do recommed that any fan of TBS, Dashboard, etc. at least give this cd a listen.