Straylight Run review by Straylight Run

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Straylight Run: Straylight Run

I'm rather tired of people calling this emo. If this was emo, the lead singer would wear eyeliner and have a high-pitched voice. Sorry kids, Straylight Run is indie. It's indie because it, like taking back sunday and brand new, two closely related bands, cannot really be catagorized as emo, punk, or in some cases, even rock in general. Straylight Run found their own sound. And that sound is amazing. Entrancing piano melodies in songs like Existentialism on Prom Night, and piano almost replacing the guitar on songs like The Tension and the Terror. Definately something new.

John Nolan is a poet. That's why I love them so much. The lyrics are thoughtful and deep, but probably not quite as good as Bright Eyes or Brand New.

It goes far beyond the medium. Straylight Run is probably the best Debut album I've ever heard. The most impressive songs are Existentialism on Prom Night and Mistakes We Knew We Were Making. If this album were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again because I already have eight copies.