Everything Goes Numb review by Streetlight Manifesto

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Streetlight Manifesto: Everything Goes Numb

This is probably one of the most original ska albums I've ever heard. It's ska/punk played very fast at times, with emphasis being put on the horn section, which sounds fantastic. The drumming is also worth of praise, very fast, yet tight sounding. I'm less keen on the style of singing, which tends to be very fast, with lots of words crammed into one sentence. However, it is the singing which helps make this album unique, and the music wouldn't sound right without Tomas Kalnoky's vocals. The album does have it's melodic moments, but these tend to come from the instrumental backing, mainly utilising the horn section much more than many third wave ska acts.

The singing, as previously mentioned, is very unique. In some songs, he sings ultra fast, but in others the music is slowed down and he sings like a normal vocalist. It's the lyrics in which Streetlight Manifesto do well in. The themes covered are death, crime and love. The lyrics at times are very poignant, yet very simple, such as in 'The Big Sleep' "And you close your eyes for the big sleep, I hope you think of me". Often, the lyrics tell stories individual songs.

I am in love with this album. To my ears, it's a very unique sound which I hope Streetlight Manifesto will continue to play and perfect in future releases. This album is a must hear for ska enthusiasts. The horn section are fantastic, and they even use a clarinet at one point. The best songs-in my opinion-are: Here's To Life (look out for the clarinet and guitar breakdown, followed by a truly head-banging ska-core moment near the end), The Saddest Song (which ironically sounds like the happiest song you'll hear on the album), If And When We Rise Again (brilliant intro) and A Moment Of Silence (one of the slower songs at first). Get this album. You need it for your collection. Don't download it, support the scene.

clashclash
    If you like ska u must get this album its sooooo good and if u dont like ska listen 2 this u soon will like ska
    RouletteDares__
    Wow, the bass on this, wow, also the drummer, and everything else in the band. check out Keasby Nights by catch 22, Tomas Kalkony practically wrote that whole cd.