Somewhere In The Between review by Streetlight Manifesto

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
Streetlight Manifesto: Somewhere In The Between

After the release of their highly rated debut album Everything Goes Numb, Streetlight Manifesto were welcomed into the ska scene with arms wide open. It wasn't long before fans were in demand of a sophomore release. This demand wasn't met for years, until now, with the release of the highly anticipated Somewhere In The Between. Upon the first listen, it is hard to pick out the 'best' track as every track on the album is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Caf is a perfect example of classic Streetlight Manifesto. An instant sing-along, the track is certain to tear your head apart with its catchy vocals, horns, and guitars. The Blonde Lead The Blind has by far the most upbeat horn tune ever heard on any ska song -- ever. That tune alone makes the song worth listening to, and promises to make the track a certain live favorite. Listening to the album, it is easy to pick out different influences the band may have used. For example, it seems that some of the songs give the impression of being slightly System of a Down-esque, but in a ska-y way. An example of this would be the fourth track Watch It Crash, which has a stunningly powerful ending. On ending track What A Wicked Gang We Are, the guitar can be said to be to some extent 'metal-ish'.

The lyrics for this album, in contrast to the instrumentals, are relatively menacing. Examples of such sinister lyrics range from death and the afterlife (Would You Be Impressed? and We Will Fall Together), abuse and self-harm (The Receiving End Of It All) and losing religious faith (The Blonde Lead The Blind). Although the lyrics may be of a satirical nature, they are incredibly interesting to listen to, and sometimes even funny. This is a good thing, of course, as it means that the album is thrilling not only because of the instrumentals, but also because of the lyrics. The unhealthily catchy title track Somewhere In The Between displays lyrics such as So you were born, and that was a good day; Someday you'll die, and that is a shame; But somewhere in the between was a life of which we all dream; And nothing and no one will ever take that away commenting on cherishing and living life to the fullest. One of the more satirical songs on the album, Forty Days talks about loneliness and rejection from heaven due to 'tasting' the seven sins: And nobody's going to hold your hand on the day you die; I've tasted seven sins, so they won't let me in; I knock knock knock until my knuckles are bruised and raw; Stuck in the middle with my blood in a puddle on the floor.

The second record release from the New Jersey seven-some meets all expectations and more. The bands exceedingly catchy brand of upbeat pop ska is once again perfectly executed on their sophomore release with a perfect mix of horns, guitars, bass, drums, and vocal melodies. This record is the perfect ska album and is a must have for any music fan.

rebelmidget
    neither review mentioned the lyrical commentary on war. but w/e THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM I HAVE EVER HEARD, PERIOD. buy it, and if you can't afford it pirate it and buy it at a later date. i'd give up a kidney if thats what it cost for this cd (luckily i only paid 12 dollars and got a nifty patch and button)
    Adam_Harrison9
    BucketheadRules wrote: "The Blonde Lead the Blind" Is about education, not religion... No it's about both. Anyway this album is the ****ing greatest thing ever.
    dsrtdude93
    When i first heard "We Will Fall Forever" i sat there and almost fell forever in shock!. I didnt know that people could make such music masterpieces! We Will Fall Forever is the Best song that i have ever heard! one word... WOW
    BucketheadRules
    "The Blonde Lead the Blind" Is about education, not religion... Anyway this album is the ****ing greatest thing ever.
    lintkingofska
    This is probably the greatest thing i have ever spent money on. No lies. Well after my car this. It has all that any streetlight fan could want. The only thing i don't like is that it has 10 songs. To me thats fine, but to some that may be too few. JUST BUY IT.
    RCT2head
    updated: through some stroke of luck, streetlight's van was not robbed this tour, however, unfortunately, suburban legends was... did the the thieves get confused?
    clashclash
    just amazin album nothing else to say ,pure class. and i get 2 c them live soon , bring it on
    bob1991
    the first album left me shellshocked!! and i've heard that this one is even better. Everything Goes Numb pretty much changed my perspective on song writing, the album is packed with inspiration and I hope Somewhere In The Between will leave me with the same fulfilled feeling
    tvic14
    one of my favorite cds by far. every song is worth listening to. buy it. support streetlight. chyeah.
    AVApunk18239
    i love streetlight and ill probly check the new album out soon.i wish i could see them in orlando
    SkAsupafly
    i coulda saw em live aug. 20th... damnit. this is a great album every song on it is amazing.... i need to see these guys live
    Keenan111
    First off, if you have not purchased this album yet do it now. Secondly, wow. There is not a single bad thing I can say about this album. Streetlight has surpassed the bar set by Everything Goes Numb ten-fold. Musically, it is brilliant (the writing and arranging is better than any other band out there, bar none) and lyrically it is spectacular. Matt Stewart (SM's new trumpet player) is easily the star of this album. It seems his middle-C is an octave higher than your average trumpet player... and if you aren't musically inclined, I mean he can play HIGH and still keep beautiful tone. I can't recommend this album enough. I've given it to people who have otherwise disliked and hated ska and got nothing but, "This is great!"