Change Is A Sound Review

Strike Anywhere: Change Is A Sound
Release Date: Aug 14, 2001
Label: Jade Tree
Genres: Hardcore Punk
There really is a lot to like about this record, and though it might be a bit tame compared to some of the other jacked-up hardcore acts out there, it is also noticeably more evolved.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Change Is A Sound Reviewed by: Adam_Harrison9, on october 17, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is everything hardcore/melodic punk rock should be from start to finish. Thomas Barnett's shouting and singing voices are excellent, being able to range from some high pitched notes, to dropping back down to that rough, hardcore shouting/screaming. The album has been mixed nicely, not too clean and not too raw. The only thing that I felt let this CD down, is its lack to use one of its two guitars to their advantage, because there are very few riffs/solos, I think musically it could have been better. // 8

Lyrics: Now we are talking! Thomas Barnett's lyrics are some of the bestlyrics for a punk band I have ever heard! Metaphorically correct in all aspects. I especially like the lyrics in the songs: Chalkline, Laughter In A Police State, Riot Of Words, Sunset On 32nd and Refusal. The great thing about the lyrics is that they also cover a lot of topics from Feminism to police brutality to capitalism. My favourite lyrics are: "we see society's mask upon the meaningless face, the arrogant false prophets of this human race." Riot Of Words. I would definitely reccomend this album just for the lyrics but this band has much more to offer. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other punk artists, I would brand strike anywhere as one of the best punk outfits today. The most impressive songs are Chalkline, Refusal and Laughter In A Police State. I love everything about this album, apart from the fact they have two guitars and both play similar, power chord riffs, I would have preferred a few fills here and there and a few solos but it definitely doesn't bring the album down too much. // 9

Comments